Premed 101 Forums

Wait-list support group!

green_sun

Hey folks,

I am a wait-listed, IP-university student. Throughout the application process, I have really appreciated the great threads posted in this McGill forum. Hopefully, this thread can generate more insight about the wait period for myself and my fellow wait-listed candidates.

I am not familiar with McGill's wait-list procedure and its history. I am planning to contact the office once my term is over, but I am wondering if anyone happened to already know the following questions:

1. Average number of accepted wait-list candidates
  2. Deadline for accepted students to commit to McGill
  3. Time period when wait-list candidates are notified for admission

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone investigated the purpose of the numbers that follow the admissions letter, e.g. (Name--Minerva ID, 1, 32)

Thanks folks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, out of curiosity, has anyone investigated the purpose of the numbers that follow the admissions letter, e.g. (Name--Minerva ID, 1, 32)

That's a good question.The letter says I am App ID #2 and I don't know what is that number. Maybe it is just from an alphabetical order list...

The number probably means nothing. McGill does not tend to release their wait list ranking.

When I was waitlisted, I called Michel Dansereau to find out what went wrong and what I can improve on. If you catch him on a good day, he is pretty receptive and was able to give me an idea of where I stood on the wait list and what the odds of admission were.

The sad truth is unless you are in the top 5 or 6 spots, you will likely not get a phone call. BUT, I personally know 2 people admitted off the WL in the past few years, one of them 2 days into the first week of classes. So dont give up hope just yet!

Also on the waitlist.

I sure hope the #s mean nothing, I have "32" on my title as well.

I called and Dansereau said that once the list settles down (after the deadline to accept at the end of May), he is more likely to give information, but he didn't tell me anything about my ranking for now.

Does anyone know of any rumours of how big the waitlist is? Previous posts in the forum say in the 30's.

I'm in the same boat, happy to commiserate haha.

From green_sun's questions:

1. In the Admissions 2010 document put out by the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, the average of offers declined for the MDCM program from 2003-2007 was about 40 (there's an outlier in 05-06 where 88 (!) declined - excluding that point would make it about 28...a little more disheartening. It's unclear if that also includes MED-P students - they have a separate category above. Either way, that number is wayyy lower than those at other schools - probably stemming from the fact that most IP accept (...ridiculous tuition).

2. As far as I remember, deposits are refundable until June 15th, so people can "accept" but still back out until then. I'm guessing there won't be much movement until then - unless some people decide to choose a school in ONT or out West after acceptance come out in the next couple days for those areas.

Would love to know the meaning of the numbers too, although I have a feeling it's more of a coding thing that any indication of position on the list. I had (1, 32) after mine as well, and a (1) after my ID at the top of the page. Oh well...so much speculation.

Planning on called Michel when things settle down for them as well, try to glean what I can from him. I'm supposed to be in Vermont for all of July hiking, so my ability to respond within 24 hours will be desperately limited lol

Thanks for the great info, folks. Seems like the file number is irrelevant.

After I contact the office (graduation in a few days!), I'll keep you all posted on any information I may get. Perhaps we can tie in bits/pieces of information we can acquire from the office. :0)

Hey folks,

I am a wait-listed, IP-university student. Throughout the application process, I have really appreciated the great threads posted in this McGill forum. Hopefully, this thread can generate more insight about the wait period for myself and my fellow wait-listed candidates.

I am not familiar with McGill's wait-list procedure and its history. I am planning to contact the office once my term is over, but I am wondering if anyone happened to already know the following questions:

1. Average number of accepted wait-list candidates
  2. Deadline for accepted students to commit to McGill
  3. Time period when wait-list candidates are notified for admission

Thanks folks!

I was accepted so hopefully I can answer some of these questions from someone on the "inside".

We have until Tuesday May 25th at noon to respond, after which the admissions office reserves the right to withdraw their offer. The $500 deposit is also refundable until June 15th. So you may likely see some waitlist movement just before/after May 25th, as well as June 15th.

I'm not sure how many people are on the waitlist normally but I personally know 3 people that got off the waitlist last year....one of them 3 days before classes started! :eek: So there's hope till the end!

As for the numbers, I have App ID#5 at the top of my letter, and my last name is in the middle of the alphabet....so I don't think it's alphabetical but it's definitely not your waitlist ranking either because even the accepted people have numbers....

Hope that helps a little bit!

Does anyone know if McGill gives more offers than spots available initially in anticipation of students rejecting McGill?

I heard ~30% of accepted students decline McGill's offer, if McGill doesn't compensate initially by giving out more offers, I'd say waitlisted ppl like us may have a decent chance

:(

We are currently 130 students on the google group of accepted students for class 2014 (students who accepted the offer and thus paid the deposit). I guess 5-6 of them are OOP, which leaves 124 students who accepted the offer, out of about 160 seats available (80 cegep, 80 university students). While these students could theoretically still cancel their acceptance and get their deposit back until mid-june, I presume that the ones who paid the deposit already were probably pretty sure about their choice.

However, it also means that about 36 persons are still hesitating and were waiting for the answers from the other universities (which, in the case of Quebec universities, came out today). There is thus still hope that some of them will choose another university and that some ppl on the waiting list will be called! We will cross our fingers for you guys!!

We are currently 130 students on the google group of accepted students for class 2014 (students who accepted the offer and thus paid the deposit). I guess 5-6 of them are OOP, which leaves 124 students who accepted the offer, out of about 160 seats available (80 cegep, 80 university students). While these students could theoretically still cancel their acceptance and get their deposit back until mid-june, I presume that the ones who paid the deposit already were probably pretty sure about their choice.

Where did you get the link for the google group of accepted students? I only ever got the link for those invited to interview....

Where did you get the link for the google group of accepted students? I only ever got the link for those invited to interview....

If you accepted the application and paid the deposit, you should already be subscribed to this group. Connect to your account on google group and take a look. There is plenty of info posted by Michel Dansereau :o)

If you accepted the application and paid the deposit, you should already be subscribed to this group. Connect to your account on google group and take a look. There is plenty of info posted by Michel Dansereau :o)

Ahh thanks, had the interview group bookmarked and never logged out of that one to look at my new groups. :)

However, it also means that about 36 persons are still hesitating and were waiting for the answers from the other universities (which, in the case of Quebec universities, came out today). There is thus still hope that some of them will choose another university and that some ppl on the waiting list will be called! We will cross our fingers for you guys!!

Thanks for this info Dinister. If accepted students could periodically post the google group # it would be very interesting for us waitlisted folk!

If people accept and then reject the offer afterwards I wonder if they are removed from the group.

salutt

je me demande pourquoi l'université McGIll ne nous fourni pas notre rang sur la liste, est ce qu'il y a une raison particulière à cela.

ca m'aiderait énormément de le savoir !!! (cours d'anglais, reservation de chambres dans d'autres universités)

mercii

Archived