Premed 101 Forums

Four year degree requirement

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in a previous thread (I did do a quick scan of the threads and didn't come upon it). Given the popularity of this topic in other schools' threads, I figure I'd bring it to light here. I was just looking through the McGill medical admissions site and noticed that they are one of the medical schools that have already moved to a four year degree requirement. That is, current applicants to McGill's medical program must be in the final year of a four-year degree (no Honours stipulation was made).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Hey Kirsteen,

Nice to see you posting over here in my neck of the woods. I've been following some of the similar threads in the other forums.

To the best of my knowledge McGill's requirement with regards to undergraduate length has not changed recently, it was the same when i applied. You have to either have a Bachelor's when applying or be in the last year of your program when applying and thus have a Bachelors by the time you start first year. Of course the 3 year vs. 4 year will depend on whether or not you went to CEGEP.

Medicator

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there Medicator,

It's nice to be "around" McGill again--I wish I had the opportunity more often. :)

I do have another wee question: how does McGill treat a second undergraduate degree if an applicant were to apply with one? Are the marks from the first completely disregarded? I had a sniff about the McGill website and didn't see this issue addressed (hopefully it wasn't simply that I wasn't looking hard enough).

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Well Kirsteen you are always more than welcome to hang around McGill as much as possible and the next time you are in the area give me a heads up and perhaps I can give you the grand tour.

As for how a second undergrad degree are treated, i too couldnt find it explicitly on the site. However... a friend of mine from Montreal did a second degree after his first GPA was less than stellar and ended up not applying to McGill, but rather to Ontario schools because "they allow past mistakes to drop"... to be honest though I don't know the exact rules with regards to how the CGPA is calculated in that situation. Best to contact the admissions office to be sure, unless someone else on here knows.

Hope that helps somewhat,

Medicator

Archived