Premed 101 Forums

I am so lost... Just failed to get in graduate program

Hi, it is my first time writing post in here.

Hope someone can help me to decide what to do...

Heres my story

I came to Canada 6 years ago and not good at English so please forgive my english.

I just finished my undergrad at UT with cGPA 3.62 (not OMSA scale)

special about my GPA never drops down and I took the next level course for all courses I didnt do great (For example, I did B- for Biochem1 yet I got A for Biochem2 at my fourth year).

First year: 3.40

Second Year: 3.51

Third Year: 3.69

Fourth Year: 3.85

I did some ECs: hospital volunteers, volunteer leader, Research, Work-study, winning championship for basketball and soccer intramural, shadowing doctor, teaching at academy, currently working at goverment lab (expected to have one paper including my name on).

I am doing something everytime as much as possible.

My plan was to get into graduate school which is course based 'physical therapy' program at University of Toronto.

I had confidence getting good marks on graduate schools which I thought cover my great weakness (weak cGPA) for the medical schools. My ultimate goal is to get in U of T medicine which seems I get benefit mostly by having masters degree.

However, it turns out that going to grad school is not even easy with my GPA...They look at your last two year GPAs and this year the cutlimit of PT was 3.63. I couldn't include my whole 4th year GPA (my strongest) so my whole second year GPA was included which drop my calculated GPA lower than I expected. I did get an interview yet I figured out I eventually failed to get in....

It was so fool of me who only apply U of T... and didn't really plan anything else...

I am so lost... I can't beilieve I didn't even get the myself in waitlists...

I spent whole day today waiting to premed 101 website active again.

In sum, I gotta do something at least...

Hep me decide two choices I am thinking

One is getting into masters in september cycle

I heard there are few masters program which I can still apply (till June 1st) yet I doubt I would get supervisor I want... which seems not good way to spend two years that I hate my job. Yet, this fits my original plan --> Go to U of T medicine. (This is not even guaranteed though).

Another option I have is improve my GPA. I am also thinking to do second degree or extend my undergrad to fifth year (by cancelling graduation). In either way, I am confident to get better marks than I used to. In this way, I can confidently apply to Ottawa, Western, Queens, other medical schools they put more weights on undergrad GPA.

However, This also confuses me whether I should do second degree? or fifth year ?

I can't decide anything by my own because I don't know exactly what my problem is... GPA(second degree or fifth year)? or Masters?

Please Help me...

Thanks for the Reply!!

I feel much better!

But, I am wondering how they count as second degree if I take second degree.

I really don't wanna comeback to schools cuz I already told everyone I graduating. Its gotta be so embarrasing that I come back!

hmm, i don't know. thing is, if he starts another degree he will HAVE to stay and finish it and THEN he can apply. he already has one good year so he really needs just one more that is good! :)

Wow, so I actually have to stay at least 2 years then wait one more year;;

thats not tempting;;

Thank you for advice again!

hmm, i don't know. thing is, if he starts another degree he will HAVE to stay and finish it and THEN he can apply. he already has one good year so he really needs just one more that is good! :)

i am a bit groggy this morning :) - Isn't the OP already over the last two years GPA for Queens anyway? doing one more year of UG could get him into Western or Queens.

What where your MCAT scores?

You could do a 5th year as a post-degree student. Some universities accept these students. Plus, it is VERY difficult to get into PT at UofT. The cut-off might have been 3.63 for "interview" but their cut-off for admissions must have been 3.8 or more.

You need to calculate your GPA on OMSAS scale though. At York we're allowed to come back for a 5th year even if we have graduated.

i am a bit groggy this morning :) - Isn't the OP already over the last two years GPA for Queens anyway? doing one more year of UG could get him into Western or Queens.

What where your MCAT scores?

I am writing this summer. Hopefully I got it well!

You could do a 5th year as a post-degree student. Some universities accept these students. Plus, it is VERY difficult to get into PT at UofT. The cut-off might have been 3.63 for "interview" but their cut-off for admissions must have been 3.8 or more.

You need to calculate your GPA on OMSAS scale though. At York we're allowed to come back for a 5th year even if we have graduated.

I know! I should have been prepared carefully! I overlooked the level of entry for masters.

I am bit confused whether I should cancel my convocation cuz I lose all priorities as senior years given to choose courses I want if I do just continue as post-degree student.

I am bit in dilemma whether I should cancel convocation or not

I know! I should have been prepared carefully! I overlooked the level of entry for masters.

I am bit confused whether I should cancel my convocation cuz I lose all priorities as senior years given to choose courses I want if I do just continue as post-degree student.

I am bit in dilemma whether I should cancel convocation or not

Which university? UofT?

When is your convocation? And when is your date for enrollment? You might not need to cancel convocation. If your date for enrollment is before convocation, you just enroll in the courses (still having senior privileges).

If you convocate before enrollment date, you will probably need permission from profs to enroll in the courses (as they might be full).

As a grad student, I would advise against starting a Masters if you are doing it just to fill time. It can be a very rough ride if you are unprepared/uncommitted (not saying you are, just generally).

I would also advise you NOT to pursue a graduate program to 'boost' your marks. Look at the admissions requirement very carefully for the schools you are interested in applying to because many of them do not even consider your graduate course grades (yes, it is terrible).

Keep your head up, and don't put yourself down (Your english is fine). Things happen for a reason. Just call it character building.

Which university? UofT?

When is your convocation? And when is your date for enrollment? You might not need to cancel convocation. If your date for enrollment is before convocation, you just enroll in the courses (still having senior privileges).

If you convocate before enrollment date, you will probably need permission from profs to enroll in the courses (as they might be full).

Mine is June 10th, and Enrolment date is around August; which means I need to cancel my convocation.

Thanks for advice!

As a grad student, I would advise against starting a Masters if you are doing it just to fill time. It can be a very rough ride if you are unprepared/uncommitted (not saying you are, just generally).

I would also advise you NOT to pursue a graduate program to 'boost' your marks. Look at the admissions requirement very carefully for the schools you are interested in applying to because many of them do not even consider your graduate course grades (yes, it is terrible).

Keep your head up, and don't put yourself down (Your english is fine). Things happen for a reason. Just call it character building.

Yay, I don't think it is good idea to jump in masters w/o preparation.

Thanks for advice! (especially for english part!)

try PT programs in the UK....i hear alote of them can come back to canada (not to many oppertunities in the uk)..

i dont think theirs any extra classes u need to do...

i dont think PT marks are ever included for med applicats if thats your goal..

For schools looking at your grad GPA, they are included

Archived