Premed 101 Forums

medical exam results in autobiographical letter?

Guest aimg1

On the website it says to include the results of a recent medical exam in your autobiographical letter.

"The date and outcome of your most recent medical examination should be given "

I was just wondering how others might have included this info in their letter. Do they just want: "I visited doctor X on date Y and he/she said that everything was fine and normal." I was a little confused when I saw this. I would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

aimg1

Guest medicator007

No, aimg1 read the instructions correctly... they are actually looking for the results of your last medical examination by a physician. (MCAT results are reported directly to the school, not in your letter)

In re-reading my own submission, the LAST LINE of it read "My last medical examination on X with Dr. Y gave me a clean bill of health". It seems totally out of context with the rest of the submission, but thats what they asked for.

I remember when I was applying there was some discussion as to whether this was required of ALL applicant or only those that had taken time off of school before applying. Truth be told I never got a definitive answer to that question. I was accepted straight out of undergrad and put the line in anyways.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

PS.. Feel free to post any and all questions you have

Guest noncestvrai

Funny because when I go to the doctor, it is not because I feel fine...for instance let's say I sprained a finger while playing football, how will that reflect?

Thanks Medicator007,

I'll check with the admissions office to try to find out exactly what they are looking for. Although I recently visited the doctor just to get a check-up for cold like symptoms, its been a while since I went in for a full medical exam...I'm not sure if I should schedule an appointment with my doctor just so I can write the information in my McGill app. McGill is the first med school I applied to that has asked for this.

aimg1

Guest medicator007

aimg1,

Definately a good idea to check with the admissions office as for what they are looking for.. though I think they are closed until January 5th...

Truth be told I really don't know why they want this information, or what exactly they are looking for. I suppose they would be looking for things that might affect your ability to complete your medical studies? But honestly, I don't know.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Medicator

• 3 weeks later...

hey folks,

i am in the class of 2006, when i applied i just ignored the questions since it seemed so out of context with the rest of the essay. Never came up in the interview, and obviously it didn't stop me from getting in.

Still, definitely best to check with the admissions office (maybe if enough people harass them they'll clarify this in future info packages, or just eliminate it altogether).

cheers!

:smokin

Archived