Premed 101 Forums

Nov. 15th: Received or Postmarked deadline?

Guest UBClebronjames

Guest UBClebronjames

Do you know if the Nov. 15th deadline for McGill is a received deadline or a postmarked deadline for things to be received by mail?

I have sent everything cept the 4page autobio essay. I have to cut it down to 4 pages, from 5 at this point (pain in the ass).

Also I noticed on their website certain critera for the layout of the essay. 1" inch margins, 12 font size, but NO designated font to use (ie. Times New Roman vs. Arial vs. others). What did you all use?

I was leaning to use a font that looks just like Times New Roman, but with a slightly diff look. The only thing is when I set it to font size 12 it looks like a 11.5 Times New Roman... I wouldn't want to the Admissions Committee to second guess my font choice.

What would you recommend?

Guest LoveMcGill

I strongly advise you to use Times New Roman font 12 and not to do anything, however subtle, to make your essay denser. In order to make your greatest achievements stand out, you cannot afford to loose the reader with endless lists. My original McGill essay was 8 pages so I know how painful it is to cut things down. For example, I have a solid research and volunteering record. Although I thought that many of those experiences were very relevant, I ended up significantly reducing their number and adding “easy reading” so that I would not loose the reader. Aim to send your essay on or before November 13, 2003 by Express Post. Best of luck.

Guest UBClebronjames

I agree with you but the website stresses that the essay will be evaluated for 'content' not style. Thus I have tried to jam pack a lot of stuff (list's almost) in a couple of paragraphs to highlight my activities. However I have delved into easy reading in the majority of the remaining paragraphs. In the end I think it is what and how much you said, balanced with a good flow of ideas that will win you the most points rather than continuing to use adjectives and such to describe yourself and give a airy traditional personal statement.

I think they are looking for detailed content, since there is no autobiographical sketch (list) that they require.

do you agree?

Guest medicator007

12 point Times New Roman would be my advice.... its simple and almost a general standard for writing... best not to mess around on that front.

As for essay content... you want to find a nice balance between containing as much information as possible and having a nice flow to it. Remember that if you put in too many events and accomplishments you wont be able to take the time to comment about them and how they serve to show your suitability for medicine.

Just some comments, good luck with your application!

Medicator

Archived