Premed 101 Forums

HELP: Decision to be Made - OOP from Ontario

Hey everyone!

I've wanted to go to UofA for medicine for as long as I wanted to be in medicine. However, my family (parents/siblings) and I live in Ottawa and I have been accepted to both University of Ottawa and University of Alberta Medicine...so, for me anyway, having my family in Ottawa plays a big part in the decision making process.

Ideally, what I was planning to do was go to UofA and come back to Ottawa to work for the summers. Here are a couple of questions I had for those Ontario/Ottawa OOP...or any OOP / anyone that knows:

- What are the funding opportunities in Alberta for medical students (I know Ontario has OSAP) and how would I go about finding more info/applying for that as OOP?

- Realistically, what are the chances of me being able to find a job/scholarship for working in Ottawa for the summers (I don't want to spend my summer's too, too idle lol)? I know there are some for Ontario if I were to stay in Ontario, but again - I don't know much about OOP in Alberta...

- What's the final class size for this year?

Any other information other than my questions above would be excellent as well...or even links would do.

PM me or leave a message...anything would definitely help...since I have only 11 days left to make my decision for UO...

Thanks everyone! :)

- What are the funding opportunities in Alberta for medical students (I know Ontario has OSAP) and how would I go about finding more info/applying for that as OOP?

You're OOP I doubt you can apply to anything similar in Alberta.

- Realistically, what are the chances of me being able to find a job/scholarship for working in Ottawa for the summers (I don't want to spend my summer's too, too idle lol)? I know there are some for Ontario if I were to stay in Ontario, but again - I don't know much about OOP in Alberta...

You're a medical student. Professors will be jumping all over you no matter where you go.

- What's the final class size for this year?

I've heard ~172?

Any other information other than my questions above would be excellent as well...or even links would do.

PM me or leave a message...anything would definitely help...since I have only 11 days left to make my decision for UO...

Thanks everyone! :)

I would choose UO based on everything you've said. To have a support network like what you have handy (I assume you have friends in Ottawa), IMO, trumps more or less everything else.

you apply for student loans from your home province / permanent address. so you would go through OSAP. other funding via bursaries etc are handled through the student affairs office here, you take care of that in Oct-Nov ish. (there will be emails about it)

it is always more difficult to line up jobs when you're not physically there, but it's possible, especially if you already know some professors. that's really not something to worry about though - if you really want a job, you ought to be able to find one (NSERC/AFHMR/etc) - there are other summer opportunities that reveal themselves over the school year proper.

the academic and financial stuff is probably comparable between the schools, personal reasons should probably make the difference.

I would choose UO based on everything you've said. To have a support network like what you have handy (I assume you have friends in Ottawa), IMO, trumps more or less everything else.

^This.

I know the feeling of being ecstatic about getting accepted into an AMAZING school far away from home. I'm also faced with having to make this awfully difficult decision, and I've chosen to stay at a school closer to home. A huge part of the decision had to do with staying home close to my family and friends. Granted, I'm not aware of the reasons why you want to go to UofA so badly for med school, but it is quite a distance from home for you so you should evaluate whether if your reasons for wanting to go to UofA is worth giving up what you have at home.

As far as financial go, you would have to apply for OSAP if you are an Ontario resident. You might also want to check if you will get full OSAP because some parts of OSAP funding may not apply to OOP schools (I'm not completely sure if that will apply for UofA but I'd double check the OSAP website)

Thanks everyone for the responses. They were immensely helpful! Just to clarify with everyone, I actually have a very big support network in Alberta as well since my mother's family is originally from Alberta (and I myself was born in Alberta). My uncles, aunts, and cousins all live out there and we are all very close, so I'm not just blindly jumping into a foreign city.

The only thing I was really worried about was funding my medical education as an OOP student and whether or not I would be able to spend my summers in Ottawa. So far everyone seems to be giving a thumbs up on both issues so that is really helpful.

Thanks again everyone for your help and input! :) Any extra information you guys have to give is definitely appreciated as well! :D

Archived