Premed 101 Forums

science prerequisites - more than 8 years

alpha

Hello All,

I had a question regarding the science prerequisites, specifically the 8 years limit.

soon it will be more than 8 years that some of mine cegep classes were finished. I have a bachelors in molecular biology, so I was wondering what the conditions are to get an exemption from having to retake them and if it was possible to get exempt as I have continued studying in science.

Hello All,

I had a question regarding the science prerequisites, specifically the 8 years limit.

soon it will be more than 8 years that some of mine cegep classes were finished. I have a bachelors in molecular biology, so I was wondering what the conditions are to get an exemption from having to retake them and if it was possible to get exempt as I have continued studying in science.

Honestly, McGill is pretty cool about it if you have continued studying in science afterward. In my case, they only asked me to re-do my "oldest" cegep science course, which was chemistry 101. Two of my friends had to re-do one physics course (we were all phd students who did their cegep courses more than 8 years ago).

You can email the admission comitee, explain to them your situation and ask them to take a quick look at it. Michel Dansereau usually replies pretty quickly.

• 3 months later...
Hello All,

Did you consider applying as a non-traditional student, they've reserved three seats for students who have a bachelors but have interupted their studies for 3 or more years.

Check the link, thats the new page for non-traditional students:

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/applicant-categories/non-traditional-pathway-quebec

This is the section I found, which states that having to retake courses under a non traditional path is on a case-by-case basis based on life experiences.

must meet the basic science requirements but may be granted exemption from "refreshing" old courses on the basis of relevant life experiences (evaluated by the Admissions Committee on a case-by-case basis).

Archived