Premed 101 Forums

Best FM program in Ontario

AZG

I was wondering what people thought were the best FM programs in Ontario were, in terms of quality of training, diversity of exposures and work environment.

What are some other things to consider when choosing a program. I want to choose a program that will give me a lot of hands on experience. I have heard that rural programs are the best for this type of experience but perhaps there are other great programs out there.

Really you can't go wrong across the board. All the Ontario programs are quality programs, and you'll finish the program as a confident family physician with the skills to succeed.

I'm a resident at UWO's Regional Family Medicine program and think very highly of UWO. What I like about the Regional program is that you get the best of both worlds from urban and rural. In our four months of family medicine each in R1 and R2, we get exposed to true comprehensive care. There are family medicine office days, minor procedures in the office, ER shifts at a rural emergency department, hospitalist experience and nursing home experience. My urban colleagues don't get the same breadth of experience, IMHO, but both urban and nonurban (regional and rural) are excellent options. Urban residents can still choose to do many of their elective rotations in rural areas if they wish.

The type of training I'm getting is exactly the type of practice I want to operate in the future. I want to be in a group practice with EMR, have onsite lab, Xray, PT, SW +/- psychiatrist, and pharmacy. I want to be able to do some ER shifts and take care of some inpatients as a hospitalist. Thus, I found the Regional program to be the best fit for me.

Let me know if you want any more information about UWO Family Medicine.

Really you can't go wrong across the board. All the Ontario programs are quality programs, and you'll finish the program as a confident family physician with the skills to succeed.

I'm a resident at UWO's Regional Family Medicine program and think very highly of UWO. What I like about the Regional program is that you get the best of both worlds from urban and rural. In our four months of family medicine each in R1 and R2, we get exposed to true comprehensive care. There are family medicine office days, minor procedures in the office, ER shifts at a rural emergency department, hospitalist experience and nursing home experience. My urban colleagues don't get the same breadth of experience, IMHO, but both urban and nonurban (regional and rural) are excellent options. Urban residents can still choose to do many of their elective rotations in rural areas if they wish.

The type of training I'm getting is exactly the type of practice I want to operate in the future. I want to be in a group practice with EMR, have onsite lab, Xray, PT, SW +/- psychiatrist, and pharmacy. I want to be able to do some ER shifts and take care of some inpatients as a hospitalist. Thus, I found the Regional program to be the best fit for me.

Let me know if you want any more information about UWO Family Medicine.

That pretty much describes what I want to do as well. Some combination of long-term care with patients (classic family practice) with a bit more acute medicine in an ER setting, and maybe also throw in some hospitalist work to keep my internal medicine knowledge sharp. Do you know if IMGs can choose this regional program when applying to Western?

• 4 months later...

I realize it's been awhile since anyone replied to this thread - I wonder though if anyone has any insight into what the Ottawa FM program is like. I am right now working on my CaRMs app for family medicine, and unfortunately didn't get a chance to do an elective in Ottawa.

Just looking at their info online, they have sites at the big teaching hospitals, and also in the community. I would love to hear about any opinions you might have regarding their programs!

Archived