Premed 101 Forums

Canadian citizen in UK...

Guest Robyn22

Guest Robyn22

Hi guys

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice...:eek

I'm currently applying to med schools in England but wondered if I would be eligible to apply to Canadian schools as well, McGill in particular ;) The thing is I'm not really sure how my academic record compares with the entrance requirements for canadian schools and I'm not too sure about how much in fees i would be paying as an international student? I have lived in Montreal for 6 years, so I do have citizenship but I don't really know what that means in terms of school fees.

In terms of my academic record, I have the following qualifications,

A Level Math - A

A Level French - B

A Level Chemistry -A

AS Level Biology-B

I also have a BSc Honours degree in Math and got a 2.1

If anyone could shed some light I'd be VERY grateful!:rollin

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Robyn,

I don't think that A-levels count towards much at most university medical programs, but your university work does. Regarding your math degree, you would have to convert all your course marks to marks on an OMSAS grade point average scale and then take an average of all of them to see where your GPA sits.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Scottish Chap

Where is your BSc from and was (roughly) was your average %? I was educated in the British system too and plan on applying to Canadian schools.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Scottish Chap,

Sorry, but I only completed up to primary seven in proud Edward's army's land (in Newton Mearns--where are you from? :) ). I left to live in Canada the year I was supposed to begin at Eastwood High School. So, I completed high school and my B.Sc. (Human Biology) here at the University of Toronto.

You might want to give McMaster's international program a look. I believe they have spots dedicated to chaps like you. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Robyn22

Hey Scottish Chap

I did my BSc at the University of Southampton and averaged mid 60's for a 2.1 Honours in Maths. Where did you study? Are you also applying to British uni's? :D

Have you looked into having your results converted to Canadian system? I haven't as yet but am just trying to find out more about the application process.

Guest Scottish Chap

Hi Robyn22! Hi Kristeen!

I have a 2.1 honours in pharmacology from the University of Edinburgh. I also have an M.S. and a Ph.D. in pharmacology from New York. I'm not applying to British medical schools, even though it would me much easier. It would also be MUCH cheaper but my wife is American and, since we're very familiar with Ontario, it would be easier on her if I apply there and hope that I get an interview somewhere.

I would be all set for a British medical school but you need to have your British transcript converted and an equivalent Canadian GPA assigned to apply for a few medical schools in Ontario. You have to pay an agency to do this. E-mail me at: scameron_2@yahoo.com and I can tell you more. Since we don't have the GPA or the alphabet system of grading in the U.K., we don't have "curving" and we only have cumulative exams once per year, I'm very, very scared as to how they think they can assign a GPA.

As you'll know, Robyn22, you just need a 2.1 or a 1st class honours from the U.K. to be academically eligible. Some schools will even give you an interview with a 2:2. Also, the fees are only around $2, 500 Canadian per year for us. Still, I'm going to chance my luck with McMaster and a couple of other Ontario schools. If I end up taking this route, it’s going to cost a awful lot more.

Cheers!

Archived