Premed 101 Forums

Questions about GPA

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering how the GPA for a year (2 sessions) is calculated on /4.

These are my GPAs:

-First session : 7.2/10 ---> 3.3/4 (B+)

-Second session: 8.2/10 ---> 3.7/4 (A-)

PS: I've taken 5 courses each session.

So my GPA for this year would be:

1) (3.3 + 3.7)/2 = 3.5 (on /4)

or

2) (7.2 + 8.2)/2 = 7.7 (on /10) ---> This is a B+ so I would still have a 3.3/4 GPA?

I'm really confused when it comes to GPA conversions so I would appreciate if you guys (and girls) could help me out on this.

Lastly, I would like to know if there is a website or something where you can go check out the stats on med admissions (for cutoffs, average GPA admissions, etc.)

Thank you and sorry for my English, I mostly speak French.

/Mike

Guest Mr. Nash
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering how the GPA for a year (2 sessions) is calculated on /4.

These are my GPAs:

-First session : 7.2/10 ---> 3.3/4 (B+)

-Second session: 8.2/10 ---> 3.7/4 (A-)

PS: I've taken 5 courses each session.

So my GPA for this year would be:

1) (3.3 + 3.7)/2 = 3.5 (on /4)

or

2) (7.2 + 8.2)/2 = 7.7 (on /10) ---> This is a B+ so I would still have a 3.3/4 GPA?

I'm really confused when it comes to GPA conversions so I would appreciate if you guys (and girls) could help me out on this.

Lastly, I would like to know if there is a website or something where you can go check out the stats on med admissions (for cutoffs, average GPA admissions, etc.)

Thank you and sorry for my English, I mostly speak French.

/Mike

It is actually simple to do. go on this website: http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf and convert your mark for each course into a grade on the 4-point-scale, and take the average to get your average GPA for the year. hope that clears it up. :)

can anyone advise me whether to apply to Ottawa for 2011 entry with a weighted GPA of 3.838 as an in-province, out of Ottawa, anglophone applicant? I know the cut-off was 3.85 both this and last year but does anyone know how low it has been in the last few years?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone I had a quick question..

I am aware that out of ottawa area but in province applicants need to have a wgpa of at least 3.85 to meet admin standards. I am also pretty sure there is a french stream and an english stream for entry. However, someone told me last night that if your applying to the english stream and yet if your bilingual there are lower gpa cuts for these applicants then the regular 3.85 even though your still applying to the english stream? Does anyone know if this is in fact true? This is just what I heard. Correct me if im wrong.

Hi everyone I had a quick question..

I am aware that out of ottawa area but in province applicants need to have a wgpa of at least 3.85 to meet admin standards. I am also pretty sure there is a french stream and an english stream for entry. However, someone told me last night that if your applying to the english stream and yet if your bilingual there are lower gpa cuts for these applicants then the regular 3.85 even though your still applying to the english stream? Does anyone know if this is in fact true? This is just what I heard. Correct me if im wrong.

this is unfortunately not the case. in order to advance in your respective pool, you must meet the cutoffs. there are no exceptions to this rule. having said that, if upon meeting the cutoffs, you indicate in your ABS that you are bilingual, this will most probably score you extra points, helping you to secure an interview. during the interview, from what i understand, they will ask you questions in both french and english if you indicate bilingualism.

• 5 months later...

Quiiiiiiiick question guys :P

In the French Stream itself, does the province in which you reside affect the admission?

Yeah yeah if you're from ottawa it ain't the same as if you come from anywhere else as this would affect the wgpa cutoff. But since the French Stream has its own cutoff, could the province in which you live still affect?:cool::confused:

Thanks a lot !

Quiiiiiiiick question guys :P

In the French Stream itself, does the province in which you reside affect the admission?

Yeah yeah if you're from ottawa it ain't the same as if you come from anywhere else as this would affect the wgpa cutoff. But since the French Stream has its own cutoff, could the province in which you live still affect?:cool::confused:

Thanks a lot !

the province that you apply from does affect your respective wGPA cutoff, yes. french stream applicants from the provinces of Ontario and Quebec have a seperate stream, whereas individuals from other provinces apply through the CNFS program (Consortium National de Formation en Sante). The wGPA cutoff for each is 3.67 and 3.6 respectively.

Ooh !! I see I see ! Thanks Osmosis!!:D

Well then in that same Ontario-Quebec french stream there seems to be no difference in where you live exactly! I mean living in Ottawa wouldn't change much right, not the way it would affect you if you were applying to the english stream?

Archived