Premed 101 Forums

Too young for med-school?(pre-meds)

Guest brocolina

Guest brocolina

Hello everyone!

I just got accepted into McGill directly from cegep, and I was curious if any of you are former pre-med students and what your opinion is on starting med school so early.

The opinions of other students are welcome as well.:) From what I've heard so far, many people believe that starting early makes you miss out on a lot of things in life and it would really help me to hear your opinions.

Guest dfenst

I'm not a premed student, but my sister was several years ago. While she was in school, she sometimes went through moments of uncertainty and was upset that she wasn't able to take a more general undergrad degree and do medecine after. But those moments were few and far between. When she was a doctor at 24, and realized that she never had do do a summer of MCAT studying, she was very happy and said that she would do it again. As a premed, there's no question that you miss out on some aspects of life that your undergrad friends will experience, but you'll also benefit from other experiences, meet a group of people that will become your family, and, from what I understand, McGill Med parties with the best of 'em so you shouldn't miss out on that aspect of university!

To play devil's advocate, if you are talented enough to get accepted into premed (congrats!), you'll probably get accepted too after undergrad, so if you want to experience university life and apply afterwards, you'll still be a doctor (unless you figure out you don't want medecine in those years), just 3 years later.

Dan

Archived