Premed 101 Forums

Miscelaneous Quebec Queries...

Guest bearman14

Guest bearman14

Hey Folks,

Seeing as I'm almost completely ignorant of all things Quebec, I have a couple questions maybe you can help me with:

1) Is there a "Bargain Finder" equivalent in Montreal (i.e. a weekly paper with classified advertising for everything from furniture to cars to power tools)? And if so, do you know if they have an online link? Any other sources of quality used furniture?

2) Do any of you know any good used-car resources? I've checked out canadatrader.com, but was wondering if there are any others that may have different selection for vehicles in Quebec.

3) And on that note, what is the procedure for registering and insuring your vehicles in Quebec. I was told to not even bother bringing in a used vehicle that has any rust, as it will not pass a pre-registration inspection. Any thoughts on that?

I'm sure these are all things I can find out once I get there, but it'd be nice to know a little before hand. Thanks for any help!

Guest medicator007

Hey Bearman14,

I`ll see what i can do to help you out..

1) There is indeed an equivalent here in quebec. It is called Auto Hebdo and you can usually pick it up at banks or try it online at http://www.hebdo.net

2) Same as above, or you could go on the montreal gazette website and check out there online car listings.

3) I really don`t know how strict the regulations are with respect to purchasing a used car. I know when i got my car used all that we had to do was to the SAAQ office and take care of the paperwork, there was NO INSPECTION required in my case, though to be certain I would advise you check out the SAAQ website at www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/ (site is in french, as with many quebec government sites the english page is under perpetual construction!)

Guest bearman14

Thanks, once again, Medicator.

Seeing as you've given us license to ask away, and apparently, there "ain't nobody here but us chickens", I'll fire another question at you. How much opportunity were you given last year to get into the hospitals or clinics for shadowing/observing/getting involved? If opportunities were available, were they provided by McGill, or were they mostly of your own initiative? And how receptive did the docs seem to having students shadowing them?

Guest medicator007

Bearman,

No problem... as i said, i'm on the computer virtually all day and ur questions serve as a pleasant distraction from my lit review ;)

From an official McGill standpoint in your first year there is NEXT to zero time scheduled for you to be in the clinics. Save for a visit to see endoscopy in unit 4, blood drawing on ur classmates in unit 5 and a few "group visits" here and there within ITP.

That being said, from my own experience (and i've heard the same from others) there is usually no problem in calling up a physician in a domain of interest, mentioning that you are a McGill medical student & asking if you can spend some time shadowing them. I personally didn't do very much of this during the year, but since i've been on summer break I have had numerous such opportunities. By and large the docs were rather enthused to have someone with them.

Bottom Line: If you want to take the initiative it is more than possible.

Suivant, next? :lol

Medicator

Archived