Premed 101 Forums

fess up: how much does McGill cost?

Guest poupsik

Guest poupsik

I tried looking at that website, but I keep getting an error. The reason I am asking this is that I read somewhere that the tuition is ridiculously low, something like $4000. I'd like to know if that's true, because it sounds too good to be true!!

Anyone? PLEASE!!:\

By the way, Ian, I went to your website: http://www.premed101.com and it was great! Thanks so much for all the inside, I especially liked the UBC stats.

Guest bearman14

Hey Poupsik,

Here is the link to a complete breakdown of what our fees will be:

www.mcgill.ca/student-acc.../medicine/

I'm assuming you're in-province. If so, your tuition for next year is $3559, but with all the surplus fees, it's $6,013.69 total. I'm an OOP student, so I pay quite a bit more, but it's still cheaper than almost every other school. From what I understand, the provincial government (the old one) had a tuition freeze at the post-secondary schools, so that's one reason tuition is so low comparatively. Who knows if that will continue with the new government... :eek

See you in August!

Bearman

Guest candybits

I'm a Quebec resident, and last year I paid about $5600 including all the student services fee, notes, microscope rental, etc. It's ridiculously cheap compared to many other medical schools, not to mention the ones in the US! :)

Guest poupsik

Thanks guys!

This really helps, however my curious mind keeps on going!! What about UBC? I've heard that their tuition is relatively low too.

I really appriciate your help!:)

Guest bearman14

Hey Poupsik,

UBC has gone through the roof. They've gone from $4,000 a couple years ago to over $10,000 this year, then up to $14,000 for students entering next year. Here is their tuition schedule:

students.ubc.ca/finance/download/tuitionpolicy_schedule.pdf

I had to choose between UBC and McGill, so one of the criteria exerting considerable influence was cost of education. Over 4 years, if McGill tuition remains consistent with how it's been (i.e. small percentage increases per year and no deregulation), a McGill education will be $23,000 less than UBC, and close to $35,000 less than U of T (paying OOP fees at McGill -- even more for you in-provincers!!). Of course, that could all change if they go to differential tuition, but in the end there were many other reasons that swayed me towards McGill besides the money factor. Hope that helps.

Bearman

Guest faraway03

Hello all!

Another question from me.....

When do we need to pay the tuition fees? Do we pay the entire year's tuition fees in August upon registration or before August :P ? Or do we pay in the fees in installments? Any good websites providing info on this?

Thanks for all your help!

Guest medicator007

Faraway,

You pay the years tuition in three separate installments (the accounting dep't functions on the normal undergrad schedule) and not our rather interesting one.

As long as you have put down your deposit do not worry about when you have to pay the money, McGill is rather efficient at letting you know that you owe them cash... you will get letters from the accounting department and if you are ever curious you can view your account statement via Minerva.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Guest 8York

I checked the web site & yes, it's substantially cheaper compared to Ontario schools. $3,559.04 (6013.69 incld.fees) for Quebec students, and $8,902.40 (11,357.05) for out-of-province students. And for 4th year, the tution including fees is listed as $2,980.22 for IP & $5,651.90 for OOP. Does this mean McGill accepts transferees??? And does one qualify for the lower tuition after the first year??

Thanks.

Guest medicator007

8york,

The IP tuition is indeed lower than the OOP tuition.. differential tuition though isn't just for med... it is an across the board quebec government policy for univeristy education.

As for accepting transferees. According the faculty handbook McGill does not accept transferees from other medical schools, though I'm not certain if they would make special exceptions in particular cases. The reason the tuition fees continue to get lower as the years go on is because you are taking less credits each year at the school and tuition is on a per credit basis.

As for qualifying for the lower tuition after first year, sorry, no you dont. In order to qualify for quebec residency status you would have to spend two years here NOT AS A FULL TIME STUDENT... if you are not from quebec you must pay OOP fees for all 4 years... Again, for official purposes you should still consult the accounting dept.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Archived