Premed 101 Forums

Time frame for prof to write reference letter

The more important the individual, the more time you should probably give (also probably should keep the notion fresh in their head as sometimes the best referees are also a little scatterbrained and may forget about it if it gets pushed to the bottom of their pile.

I'd also give as much notice as I can if you know you're using the person.... I gave about a month the first time around.... but the second time I used the same people so I gave them their reference forms in July.... and still managed to have one that wasn't handed in until mid November haha.

I contacted my potential references about writing a "strong" letter in July, then I gave my references who I wanted to write me letters all the forms required by the beginning of August.

I also gave them some points of what should be on the reference letter (not what to write, but if I showed the skills/abilities of a future physician).

Mine was really last minute - I think I gave them only 2 weeks notice. I was really worried about that, and apologized a lot while asking them for the reference. I also offered to bring them Xpresspost envelopes. They all managed to get it in on time, although I think one of them was a bit peeved that I gave him so little time, especially when his other grant application deadlines fell around the same time.

I think 1 month is a good timeframe, since too much more time, and they may end up forgetting. Maybe the best thing to do would be to tell them a couple of months in advance, and remind them at the 1 month mark, and ask how it's going at the 2 week mark.

I gave my academic reference prof about 8 months' notice, then a 1 1/2 month and 3 week reminder, and he still wound up writing it 4 days after the deadline for all of the other materials and hand-delivering it to me so I could walk it straight over to the OUAC office.

sidenote: Guelph students, the OUAC office is walking distance from campus ;) lol

Archived