Premed 101 Forums

Difficulty of dental startups? (Specifically in GTA region)

If (when, knock on wood :D ) I graduate from dental school, my goal would be to practice in Toronto and/or surrounding area. I would not be looking at downtown Toronto, but more North York/Willowdale area or a bit farther north in RHill/Markham would be fine.

Anyone have any statistics/strong anecdotes (straight opinions from dentists working in the area right now) on how hard this will be? (I haven't seen my dentist for a while so I haven't asked him) I can't really find any hard evidence, just the usual generalization of more dentists being in cities, etc.

I live in North York, so I do see dental clinics here and there but it doesn't seem to be that saturated as people claim... the thing is I don't know what constitutes to being "saturated".

I don't live in Toronto, but I have also worried about whether the area I am going to be working in is oversaturated (Winnipeg). Go to google maps and type in dentist in the area your looking in. This will give you a rough idea of how saturated the area your looking in is.

Guest WarrenAch

I don't think it will be "that" hard.

Toronto=More clinics + BIG population

=More chances to get bigger demand.

If you're outside downtown,i think it will even be easier for you.

Just my two cents.

I don't live in Toronto, but I have also worried about whether the area I am going to be working in is oversaturated (Winnipeg). Go to google maps and type in dentist in the area your looking in. This will give you a rough idea of how saturated the area your looking in is.

Good idea, never thought of that.

MZGHv.png

7jy0Y.png

Winnipeg doesn't look that bad though. It's a lot more spaced out. Of course, it's all relative based on the population density...

Edit: Also there are probably many clinics that are not listed there. I just did a quick check in the area my dentist is located in, and there is no spot registering a dental clinic there. So the numbers are higher...

Yeah, Toronto is the worst place in Canada to work as a dentist. Stats I've heard are that there is a 1:2000 dentist-to-population ratio in Ontario as a whole, but only 1:800 in Toronto.

Did you actually plan on starting a new practice right out of school? That is rarely done anymore, especially in a city like Toronto.

No I was mostly planning on associating at first, for a more guaranteed income while I pay off my debts.

A better situation would be to associate with a dentist that is about to retire, or at the least after I pay off my debts start to work towards my own practice... and basically associate most hours while having a day or two working on my own patient base... as my patients increase then spend more hours on my own practice. Something like that. Starting a practice with a friend wouldn't be too bad either. But the final goal is to have my own practice :)

Well that's the plan anyways. :rolleyes:

EDIT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/business/11decay.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

Fairly recent article... Maybe I'll move to the US :rolleyes: But I won't have any connections there

Archived