Premed 101 Forums

What extracurriculars do you engage in?

DXO

Hey everyone,

I'm curious to know what ECs you do!

(In case you're wondering) My ECs:

-Prez of a club 2 years, and advertising director for 3

-full-time research assistant 3 summers, and am currently making a minor contribution to a medical study

-student representative on department council and student council

-various science outreach initiatives (speak to elementary and secondary students about scientific topics and design lab-based workshops)

-hosp volunteer (various departments)

-cancer center volunteer

-psych ward volunteer (friendly visitor)

-MS society volunteer (spokesperson, walk coordinator, contribution to carnation campaign)

-have coached 2 sports teams (lacrosse, dragon boat)

-conferences

-review committee for an elementary student heritage fair... and adjudicator

Also, I am looking for opportunities to use my communication and management skills... so if you have any suggestions, that would be great :) . Since my graduation in April, I feel deprived because I can't continue with the club president role, lol. If you have any questions about some of the activities I'm involved in... I'll be more than happy to give you my perspective!

Those seem like really good ECs...you've managed to cover a range of topics...anyways if you want any recommendations...you can always look into job shadowing, fund-raising, starting a new club/organization or bringing an international charity onto a local level...its been done at my school (very impressive)...those are some suggestions i guess...also I would recommend focusing solely on 1 or 2 projects which u are really passionate about...that way u have some really good ideas for the interview.

Best of luck

ughh you put my ECs to shame. I do research in 3 labs in both the summer and during the school year (plus my thesis...so I guess 4), volunteer in a psych hospital, do Best Buddies, and peer mentor first years, and I thought THAT was a lot! holy do you ever sleep?!

Some of my ECs are seasonal... so yes, I get lots of sleep, lol! I'm also not doing everything else all at once. I generally stay with a project long-term until a better opportunity presents itself to me, or until I feel like I've learned all I want to know from that activity.

Archived