Premed 101 Forums

Do Applicants Know That UofOttawa Has A GPA Cutoff Of ~3.85?

So, I met this person today and she said, im definately going to be applying to uofottawa next year... and she didn't even know the cutoffs is ~3.85. Seeing that 3,839 people applied last year to uofottawa and only 2,918 to uoft, I doubt that many applicants know that.

Just found that kind of thought provoking, what ya guys think?

lots of people apply even though they dont meet requirements... stupid yes, but it does happen

It's because in the "work world" you can actually get the job without the qualifications depending upon how you present your resume and how well you interview. People apply this concept to med school.

That used to really worry me, I thought ALL the people who applied were VERY qualified superstars that were still not good enough. I asked the admissions about statistics of people who were rejected, and they told me they don't keep that information on file.

But now I don't think so highly of other applicants anymore, and just assume a lot of them don't even have the prerequisites, or even meet the cutoff GPA...

That used to really worry me, I thought ALL the people who applied were VERY qualified superstars that were still not good enough. I asked the admissions about statistics of people who were rejected, and they told me they don't keep that information on file.

But now I don't think so highly of other applicants anymore, and just assume a lot of them don't even have the prerequisites, or even meet the cutoff GPA...

These superstars still exist... They are called successful med applicants... there is enough of them around each year to worry even the best of us :P

I'm sure the "No MCAT" has something to do with it. Queen's and Western both require competitive MCAT scores. If you're from Southwestern Ontario, then your MCAT cutoffs at Western are pretty low. Mac does not require a full MCAT but your Verbal Reasoning section needs to be pretty competitive to get an interview - and VR is something that a lot of premeds have trouble with. Toronto's MCAT cutoffs are 9,9,9... which is still higher than no MCAT, lol. NOSM gets A LOT of applicants per seat - probably a combination of no MCAT and relatively low GPA requirements, among other factors - but you need to have rural status to apply.

Conclusion: For for the majority of the province's applicants, Ottawa is their only shot at a school if they bombed the MCAT/VR section.

I still think the same thing. I always think that of the 3000 applicants at least half of them are well qualified to get into med and have a bomb GPA and EC's

I still think the same thing. I always think that of the 3000 applicants at least half of them are well qualified to get into med and have a bomb GPA and EC's

Me too x.x. Its a terrifying prospect that so many qualified applicants get turned down. It just goes to show how huge of a factor luck can be.

Archived