Premed 101 Forums

Screwed...?

Hey all,

I screwed up one course in first year, and another this year (orgo...:mad: ), and it looks like I have done myself in. The results of these have led to a 1st year GPA of 3.44 and 2nd year 3.56 (all my other courses were decent though). I guess I can't apply in third year now...and probably not even 4th year :( My only shot for 4th year is U of T (thank god for their weighting system). But other than that, it looks like I can't even apply during 4th year yes? since I've ruined 2 years already...:(

umm, also how exactly do you calculate cGPA? do you just average all year your previous years' GPA? I know cGPA for queens/western is most recent 2/best 2, and that some count summer courses (how do you incorporate those into the cGPA?). I tried researching on websites but I couldn't find it...:confused:

Any help/insight would be appreciated. Thank you.

cGPA= cumulative GPA.

Assuming all your courses were weighted as half courses/semestered, and you took 5 per semester, your cGPA would include all your gpa's averaged (include summers into the calc.).

i.e.

year one

class A 3.9

class B 3.9

class C 3.9

class D 3.7

class E 3.3

class F 3.9

class G 3.9

class H 3.9

class I 3.7

class J 1.7

- s(essional) GPA= 3.58

summer 1

class X 3.7

class Y 3.3

- sGPA= 3.5

year two

class A 3.9

class B 3.9

class C 3.9

class D 3.7

class E 3.3

class F 3.9

class G 3.9

class H 3.9

class I 3.0

class J 3.7

- sGPA =3.7

cGPA= A+B+C+D+..+X+Y+A+B+C../n = 3.59

(granted I didn't make an error)

This is easy to calculated if all your classes were weighted the same.

You'll have to use a GPA calculator in other circumstances - likely found somewhere on your school's website.

cGPA= cumulative GPA.

Assuming all your courses were weighted as half courses/semestered, and you took 5 per semester, your cGPA would include all your gpa's averaged (include summers into the calc.).

i.e.

year one

class A 3.9

class B 3.9

class C 3.9

class D 3.7

class E 3.3

class F 3.9

class G 3.9

class H 3.9

class I 3.7

class J 1.7

- s(essional) GPA= 3.58

summer 1

class X 3.7

class Y 3.3

- sGPA= 3.5

year two

class A 3.9

class B 3.9

class C 3.9

class D 3.7

class E 3.3

class F 3.9

class G 3.9

class H 3.9

class I 3.0

class J 3.7

- sGPA =3.7

You'll have to use a GPA calculator in other circumstances - likely found somewhere on your school's website.

Thank you so much!! Helped a lot. Not all my classes were weighted the same (some full year, some half year), but would it still work if I pretend my full year courses were 2 half year ones? (so instead of 3.7x2= 7.4/n, can I just do 3.7 + 3.7 / 2n <-- and change the n accordingly?).

Not sure where the GPA calculator is...couldn't find one on my school's website :confused:

You can also apply to Western during your 4th year, as they allow for conditional acceptances. They'll take your one best year for interview purposes, but you must end up with a 4th year GPA that meets their cutoffs in order to be accepted post-interview.

You are definitely not screwed. Good luck.:)

Really? Where did you read/find that? Maybe there is some hope :o

Thank you :)

cGPA= cumulative GPA.

summer 1

class X 3.7

class Y 3.3

- sGPA= 3.5

i thought that summmer courses weren't included in the cgpa calculation...

i thought that summmer courses weren't included in the cgpa calculation...

Some schools do, some don't.

UWO, OttawaU, and U of T do not include summer courses

Mac does look at summer courses, and I believe Queens does too (though I'm not sure if they do if they are taking your cGPA of your 2 recent years?). This is what it says on their website:

The first cutoff is based on the cumulative converted grade point average (see the OMSAS Conversion Scale) of all years of undergraduate study, including summer and supplemental courses. For applicants who do not meet this cutoff, we will consider the most recent two full time years of completed undergraduate study to determine if this GPA is at or above this determined cutoff. Successful candidates will be included in the group to be considered for the second cutoff.

Archived