Premed 101 Forums

rate of attrition

Guest ethan

i was checking out the 2002 carms match report posted by ian in the residency forum and noticed that there were only 67 mcgill applicants in the match.:eek

was the class of 2002 simply that much smaller than the current classes? (of course there will be an additional number of americans returning to the states for their residencies to tack onto this figure.)

what is the attrition rate like at mcgill? i.e. how many of the ~160 students entering the class of 2007 will be left standing by the time 4th year rolls around?

thoughts and educated guesses appreciated

-ethan

Guest medicator007

HAHA.... rate of attrition.. very nice!

Few things to take into account in this one Ethan:

1) As you rightly pointed out we have about 20 or so international students, largely made up of americans.. NONE of whom are going to stay here for CARMS

2) The classes were NOWHERE near the 150 students that they are at now (ie class 2006) for the class of 2002... if i recall, i think they may have had a little over 100 med students back then.

3) Much to the governments chagrin, plenty of good ole' canadians head off to the US to do their residencies

4) Some people get their MDCM and for a variety of reasons choose not to match that year or not to match at all. Some will use their MDCM to go for research career only w/o clinical medicine, some even go into law to likely be very good malpractice lawyers..... who knows?

That being said, essentially the rate of attrition at McGill med is more or less .....ZERO! For all intents and purposes with some very rare exceptions in the history of the new curriculum, everyone that you sit with on ur first day will be there when u graduate 4 years from then... that being said, DONT MAKE ENEMIES :D

Hope that answers your question!

Cheers,

Medicator

medicator,

once again you've answered my question thoroughly and succinctly.

though i must admit the thought of someone earning an MD then turning to the dark side (i.e. malpractice lawyer :evil ) is a bitter pill to swallow. ;)

ethan

Guest medicator007

Thanks Ethan,

I am to please:D

Yes indeed it is rather disconcerting; anger, fear and hate.... the path to the dark side these are 0]

Even more unthinkable, a buddy of mine is in law at UdeM and he has a classmate who graduated Harvard med, did an internal medicine residency at mass gen and then decided it wasnt for him and enrolled in law. The thought of lawyers like him make me pay more attention in class though :eek

As always, feel free to ask anything you need/want to know about mcgill med or quebec "medicine" in general.

Cheers,

Medicator

Archived