Premed 101 Forums

Is this Right?

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Guest PhantomPhoenix

If I convert my marks with the ontario system I get a 3.80+ GPA

But if I use McGills I get a 4.00?

Since I have straight A's....following their website the conversion gives me a perfect GPA...kind of weird....I guess it is the result of them not having any A+ on their scale

Being from out of the province I will take anything I can get.

Guest PhantomPhoenix

How does the CGPA work....so if I dropped out of engineering and started doing an arts and science degree

....they would only count the courses from the arts and science degree?

I've never heard of this CGPA besides in reference to Quebec schools.

Guest medicator007

PhantomPhoenix,

With regards to the manner in which the change of degrees would be handled. I believe that the CGPA is resest if you change faculties, though you would be better to check with the admissions on that note. I know that the CGPA is unique, but so is Quebec.

Medicator

I don't know what a "CGPA" is. When you apply to American schools, you submit your application through AMCAS (virtually every American medical school uses it) which is their version of OMSAS (only much less good, cause references need to be sent directly to the schools).

AMCAS does a GPA conversion according to rules that aren't exactly clear ... there is a table in their guidebook, but I couldn't tell what grading scheme my school would be converted to. Anyways, when they get your transcripts they enter them into their system, and decide what grading scheme to use for you, and you can check online what your grades get converted to. I was pleasantly surprised. :D:D

Guest medicator007

To the best of my knowledge... only mcgill uses the Cumulative GPA system..

Essentially it takes into accounts ALL courses that u have ever taken..something along the lines of

(Avg GPA x credits obtained)/ Credits attempted

or something like that

Medicator

Archived