Premed 101 Forums

one last Q before i mail this out....

Guest swirlzy

Guest swirlzy

this is written on the admissions website at the bottom of the description of the autobiography contents:

Applicants not currently enrolled as students should indicate clearly what they have done since graduation. The date and outcome of your most recent medical examination should be given and any medical problems or time missed from studies because of illness should be briefly included.

I haven't taken any time off or am still a senior in college, so only the pink part is relevant...am i just supposed to say that somewhere or how am i supposed to incorporate that into my personal statement???

Guest Ian Wong

If the criteria don't fit you (and it doesn't sound like they do), you don't have to mention them at all. They are just using this section for people to fill in details about themselves if it is apparent on your transcript/CV that there are "missing years", such as if you graduated university a few years back. They just want to know what you've been doing since then, and if you've been doing nothing (ie. not working, not studying, not volunteering, not raising a family), whether it was because of health reasons.

Just my opinion.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Guest medicator007

Hey Swirlzy,

I personally had trouble with that criterion when I was writing my letter last year. The outline of what u have done since you were registered as a student is ONLY applicable if you have taken a year off studies, so it would seem, (as Ian pointed out) that it does not apply to you.

As for the medical issue, i have been told that it only applies to the case that you were not in school, but since I wasnt sure at the time and frankly still am not 100% certain.. i inserted it even though i took no time off of school.... it doesnt take that much space in the letter!

Best of Luck,

Medicator

Guest medicator007

They mean a check up...

They are merely trying to determine if there was some form of health related reason that you had to take time off of school. As to whether or not it is their business, well thats one for the lawyers i suppose, but since you are applying for admission into a career where you will be coming into contact with patients and performing particular skills.. i would suppose that the faculty has the right to certain information that could affect the ability to perform this job. (i.e. seropositivity for certain diseases)

Hope that sheds some light on the matter,

Medicator

Archived