Premed 101 Forums

Where are you living?

So are you saying the apartments on Lees are not a great place to live? Or are there any apartments on Lees that you would recommend?

169 and 171 are nice but it's hard finding vacancies. i think 171 is the nicer of the two but it's more expensive though utilities are included i believe. only problem with these is the closeness of the highway. dunno how often you'll be able to open your window. 190 across the street is also ok. 171 and 169 have better tennis courts though hehe..then comes 180 and finally 170. 170 has been recently renovated but..i think we know what the consensus is on here

169 and 171 are nice but it's hard finding vacancies. i think 171 is the nicer of the two but it's more expensive though utilities are included i believe. only problem with these is the closeness of the highway. dunno how often you'll be able to open your window.

I don't know, the highway never bothered me. I don't think it's louder than living downtown or anywhere where there's traffic. Must be louder than RGN though. I actually like being so close to the highway, as it makes it very convenient to go most places now that I have a car. With windows closed you don't hear any noise at all, but noise has never been a consideration when I open my windows.

I haven't heard of any problems with 169 or 171 from friends who live in these buildings. Lots of people from our class live there. Same with 190 & 180, no major problems. I admit I wouldn't try the one under renovations, personally.

Im a BIG supporter of Lees ave units. They are in a great location:

-right on the transit way (makes transit takers lives SO much easier)

-right off of the river (dog park and running trails 2 minutes away along the river)

-5 mins from canal

-10 mins from downtown

-5 mins from main campus

-gorgeous 30 min walk to school

-15 minute shuttle ride takes you door to door to RGN

I live in 170 lees, I am going on my 3rd year there (as are many other med students and uottawa students in other units) and yes its old and being renovated but the rent and location are worth it.

If you want lavish/posh living then no, 170 (and 180 lees) are not for you but if you want cheap affordable rent that will knock 1000s of dollars off your looming debt, then i wouldnt eliminate 170 lees :)

and on that note, its safe, the underground is amazing and cheap and I have never had issues with it or the unit (other than old elevators)

I lived at 1755 Riverside (Castleview) for 1st year and it was good. The building next to it is Kingsview and let me tell you there is nothing kingly about it at all. It is a hole to be perfectly honest. My friend lived there for all 4 years of med school though. Noise was a constant problem. His truck got broken into twice in the underground parking. The building looks shady from the outside.

Frobisher place is the twin building of the Castleview but it's all condos so that is out unless you are buying, which if you are I'd highly avoid buying anywhere on Riverside. The building next to it (can't remember the name) is also a dive. The Faircrest is the huge building at the end of Riverside and it is comparable to the buildings at the other end of Riverside (1725 etc).

Alta Vista towers is pure ghetto, so if you like that scene go ahead and move there. Any place around Elmvale (Smyth road and St. Laurent) is also full of sketch bags.

If you want to live on Riverside I'd recommend living in the 3 or 4 buildings at the opposite end of Riverside (1725 area). Otherwise, live in Pixley. It is a good area full of med students and is quite a safe area plus it's close to the med school. Avoid Alta Vista towers or any place around Elmvale. If you like a more vibrant scene then live downtown around Elgin and Somerset. Lots of places around there that are relatively priced. Avoid Sandy Hill which is a student ghetto full of undergrads and other questionable characters.

Sorry, just need a bit of a clarification! This is for any current Ottawa med students or anyone who knows Ottawa.

Above, it states that the Faircrest is comparable to 1725 riverside, but 1725 is the Kingsview, which, again, from above, is not exactly the best place to live. Is this true? Is the faircrest a decent place to live? Much of the talk here has been about the Castleview, another Minto property, but there hasn't been much about the Faircrest, which is currently where I am looking. Is someone could shed a bit more light on the Faircrest, that would be awesome :)

Thanks!

Have any of you considered living farther from downtown, like in the suburbs? I know its not going to be beside campus but to be honest Ottawa's bus system is so easy. It's 2 buses from Orleans to the front door of RGN. It's also significantly cheaper. I think you can rent a two bedroom condo type apartment for $900 a month.

Have any of you considered living farther from downtown, like in the suburbs? I know its not going to be beside campus but to be honest Ottawa's bus system is so easy. It's 2 buses from Orleans to the front door of RGN. It's also significantly cheaper. I think you can rent a two bedroom condo type apartment for $900 a month.

I looked into Orleans, but figured it would be a big deterrent to going out for social events that run later than the bus system... it's a fairly hefty cab ride out to orleans.

However, the property prices were much better.

I looked into Orleans, but figured it would be a big deterrent to going out for social events that run later than the bus system... it's a fairly hefty cab ride out to orleans.

Agreed on all points. I would love to live in Westboro (although not always cheap haha), but want to stay downtown for the social side of things. The suburbs will wait til I'm "settled down"...ha.

Hey guys!

Just while you're on the topic of suburbs and buses and them not running late... Thought I'd throw out the fact that the buses here run extremely late. One of them running from orleans to nepean (the 95) actually runs 24 hours (I live on this route now. Very convenient!). Just thought I'd let you know so you don't rule out the suburbs because of lack of late night busing!

P.S. You're gonna love Ottawa. I'm going to miss it terribly.

The OC Transpo has a pretty good time schedule and the 95 Orleans runs till like 3am. For sure i'd try and find something more center, but for those on a tighter budget and don't mind a 20 minute bus commute Orleans or other suburbs are a fairly good option, especially if you room with someone.

Does anyone know where I can find a route map for the free shuttle? There doesn't seem to be one on the site with the timetable. Thanks!

Hm, I don't know of a map, but it only has 4 stops anyways : Main campus, Lees, St. Paul's and RGN. You can't get on or off anywhere else... It follows the OCtranspo bus 16 from Lees to RGN, unsure about Main campus to Lees as I haven't taken the 16 in that part...

Hm, I don't know of a map, but it only has 4 stops anyways : Main campus, Lees, St. Paul's and RGN. You can't get on or off anywhere else... It follows the OCtranspo bus 16 from Lees to RGN, unsure about Main campus to Lees as I haven't taken the 16 in that part...

Thanks Julie! That's pretty much the info I was looking for.

Hi,

If anyone is willing to share a 2-br apartment, I am looking for a roommate.

The house is located 2 km from Faculty of Medicine, and there's ample street parking and direct bus routes to the school. The cost is $550, all in.

Here's a link to my UsedOttawa ad: http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/2-br-apartment-in-Rideau-Gardens-(Old-Ottawa-South)-to-share_12410295?preview=insert

I'm a family medicine residency coordinator at the University of Ottawa. I go to meetings at the faculty, and work at the Riverside hospital so I can attest that the location is ABSOLUTELY prime if you're attending med school/doing a residency at U of O. Also there's a med student moving into the house next door...

M.S.

• 2 weeks later...

Gahh, my apartment is requiring me to have a co-signer.

I told them I have a LOC, but they said they still need a cosigner? :confused:

Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I'm moving in September 1st..hmm, its a little tight, I'm afraid of missing some O-week events :(

And I can't fit a friend in my car to help me out, lol, ahhhhhhh, stress

Does anyone know where I can find a route map for the free shuttle? There doesn't seem to be one on the site with the timetable. Thanks!

If you go to Uozone and click on the customs tab, there's a box called Uottowa mobile. Click on english and then on the shuttle icon that appears...there's info about departure times. Either way, the schedule seems pretty straightfoward (leaves every ten minutes starting at 7 am and ending at 11).

Guest viscous

Also, I'm moving in September 1st..hmm, its a little tight, I'm afraid of missing some O-week events :(

how much you got the apartment for?

I had the same problem. I told them I had a LOC, but they're like "it's still money you have to owe back" so we will need someone who actually has the funds. Really wierd...

Hey Shannn

O week registration doesnt start till 12noon on the 1st and you have until 2pm to register so dont worry about missing events! Just move in quickly... i know easier said than done lol

:)

Hey Shannn

O week registration doesnt start till 12noon on the 1st and you have until 2pm to register so dont worry about missing events! Just move in quickly... i know easier said than done lol

:)

Cool, thanks :D

------------

Anyone have any recommendations for internet service providers in Ottawa? I don't want to go with Rogers/Bell

Cool, thanks :D

------------

Anyone have any recommendations for internet service providers in Ottawa? I don't want to go with Rogers/Bell

I second this, and also cable providers. I'd rather not use Rogers for all of it but since I'm stuck with them for my phone it may just be easier :P

I second this, and also cable providers. I'd rather not use Rogers for all of it but since I'm stuck with them for my phone it may just be easier :P

I was thinking either:

-Teksavvy cable internet (http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp) which sounds great for the speeds you get (10Mbs)

-Acanac (http://www.acanac.ca/DSL.html) but it is restricted to DSL and you have to pay 1 year up front to get $24.95/month (but taxes included in that price)

Hey Guys,

After reading through some of the posts, it seems like that area where the St. Laurent Towers are is looked down upon. Could someone please elaborate on how bad that area is in terms of safety?

Are there any other med students living there?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

As noted in another thread, my girlfriend & I have a room in our home we're renting to students or professionals beginning in September. $635+ shared hydro ($20-40/mo. depending on "time of use" habits) for a large, newly renovated room with a full en suite bathroom (yep - shower too!).

See all the details at http://www.redbrickbunker.ca - all of our contact info is there as well as photos and info on location, transportation, inclusions, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey med88,

I currently live in a bachelor in the Kingsview. They are clean and have recently had several things renovated (balcony, elevators, hall carpets). Management takes good care of things generally. I would recommend these apartments and I plan to stay here for first year :)

I went with a 3 bedroom house on a little road off of Smyth.... about a 10-15 minute walk to the hospital....

Nice little house, nice neighbourhood, a park nearby.... my girlfriend and I have 2 cars between us and a dog.... so things like a lawn and a driveway were big draws where they may not have been for most students.

Archived