Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a chance?

Guest doI

Do I have a chance at all to get accepted just by my stats only (aside from the interview etc...):

I am an out of province student, just finished 2nd year will be going on 3rd. GPA is 3.95. Mcat is 7/12/11/Q ?

Or should I not even bother applying b/c even if my interview is great, my stats wont let me in?

thanks

Guest medicator007

Nothing in admissions is ever cut and dry and so the short answer is that if you want to get into medicine you should apply and see where it takes you. But since that is likely not the motivation of your post permit me to try and get at the real crux of the material.

Your GPA is fantastic and so there really is no need to worry about that. While the 7 on the MCAT section is likely the cause for your concern. worry not as by my math that gives you a 30 which is the minimum required by McGill, in fact i know someone who received an interview with a 5 on one MCAT section (though a total over 30). In the final assesment, the MCAT is only one of the scores used to make final admissions decisions.

I'd say go for it, and feel free to post any other questions you may have here.

Cheers,

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest praeludium

I agree with medicatorin that you should just apply if medicine is really what you want to do. However, being an OOP student myself who had a 3.95 after 2nd year, I'd just like to pass a warning that it's not over yet! In 3rd year I got 3.51 nearing losing my scholarship, though I managed to recover in 4th year.

For OOPs, you really have to be at the top for McGill since this year they only officially take 5 students (possibly 7 depending on the other Quebec med schools) and I think they have some 200 people applying. The stats aren't great. Because of that, make sure you maintain your 3.95. While the cut-off is 30, you'll likely need to boost it to over 35 with a good distribution to be competitive as an OOP.

McGill doesn't accept applications until you've got your bachelor's so you've got another year before you can start applying. IMHO, unless the admissions stats change in your favor and unless you keep your 3.95 and boost your MCAT, I'd save my money and apply elsewhere.

I hope that helps!

Archived