Premed 101 Forums

Do you need to complete a bachelors in 3 years to qualify for an interview?

Edge

I read on the McGill Medicine page that to qualify for an interview for the MDCM program, one has to complete his bachelors in the prescribed time with an average 15 credits.

I want to know, because I'm the type to take summer sessions to accelerate things, does this mean I wont qualify.

Ex. I complete my Bachelors in 2.5 or even 2 Years instead of the usual 3.

Or would it be preferable to complete my bachelors in 3 years. I tried calling, but I'm always sent to voicemail, and knowing how voicemail works, it can take time before a callback.

summer sessions becomes a double edged sword....it is easier b/c there is no full course load....and they want to see that you are able to handle a normal full course load over a normal bachelor's course of study. By accelerating things seemingly, you may ber doing the exact opposite and may need to do another full year of undergrad studies to show you can handle it.

If you can, do the full course laod thing in 3 years and let the summer courses be gravy for more academic studies. You don't want your degree in 2.5 years..shorter is longer.

For what it's worth, here's my story:

I graduated with a B.Sc. in math in 2009 with an average credits per semester of about 13,5. I failed to get in med school on my first try (didn't apply at McGill at the time).

Then I did one year as a special student which raised my average credits/semester to 14. I applied at McGill and after being waitlisted I got in.

I asked people at the admission and they told me they just want to make sure you get your degree in a reasonable timeframe, whatever reasonable means. For me it meant 3 years. I took 2 summer courses and another one with the pass/fail option.

Note that I'm an in-province student.

I hope it answers you question.

Archived