Premed 101 Forums

McGill OOP waitlist status

Guest Paul

Hi there

I'm an OOP applicant to McGill who is on the waiting list, and my fingers are very much crossed that it moves.

I would like to know if anyone has accepted any of the 5 coveted spots and any info on govt. opening up spots and waitlist movement for OOP applicants in the past.

Anything would be helpful.

thanks

Guest medicator007

Hey Paul,

As i have mentioned before on this forum the quotas on OOP students are set by the education ministry for the WHOLE province. However, if one of the other 3 schools does not fill their allotment of OOP students (remember laval, montreal and sherbrooke are french only so this does happen quite often i'm told) the additional spots under the quota are distributed amongst the others including McGill! So while the government would not open extra OOP spots McGill may get a larger share of the quota (same effect for you!). I know for sure that this scenario has resulted in OOP waitlist movement in the past.

Best of luck and hope this helped!

Cheers,

Medicator007

Guest murdock

I called admissions last week sometime, and she told me that she has already taken four people off the OOP wait list, and there is a relatively good chance they will take more.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mark

Hey, I'm on the OOP waitlist (bad half) and I called today and Marlene Kristian said that the govt. gave them 2 more spots, bringing the total to 7. Also, they have moved down 9 people on the waitlist, and now have the seven conditional acceptances. However, she did say that the waitlist will likely move some more in the time to come.

hope that helps

Guest hopeful

Hey Mark, thanks for sharing the info with us. I am on the bottom half of the waiting list as well. Waiting sucks, doesn't it? Anyway, what do you mean by "they have the 7 CONDITIONAL acceptances"? Does it mean that for those 7 people, McGill is not their first choice and hence they did not give McGill a firm reply (like the way Ont. schools work)? If so, is there a deadline by which the conditional acceptances become firm (ie eqivalent to July 3rd for Ont. schools)? Once again, thanks!

Guest Mark

What I meant by conditional is that of the seven people who have received and confirmed acceptance, it is not set in stone until the first day of school. Could very well be that some people who have accepted at McGill are waiting for some other school to call them off the waitlist or something. I'm hoping these people do, because this whole waitlist thing sucks. I'm on the U of T waitlist also, but I feel as if my waitlist chances are better at McGill for some reason. I think it would be a good idea if the government granted McGill 50 more OOP spots next week, so that I can get on with my life.

Guest hopeful

Thanks for the clarification, Mark! I was on the UT waiting list as well. Unfortunately, as you know, today is the day when provisional acceptances become firm and since I am already accepted at an Ont school, my name will be taken off UT's waiting list. Let's keep each other updated and good luck to you!

Archived