Premed 101 Forums

what is the competitive gpa for radiation therapy program?

Hi

I'm very interested in radiation therapy program

and I was wondering what would be the competitive GPA for the program in Canada and US?

also could someone explain me how to take electives in Radiology? I just found out here that it's better to take some electives in radiology prior to apply...:eek:

Are you referring to radiation oncology residency perhaps? If so then I don't know how much help GPA would be during application... Maybe when applying to medical school initially. However once applying for a residency one's pre-clerkship marks don't have a huge part to play (except for awards, and getting honors in a H/P/F system).

I haven't been looking into rad onc as a specialty yet but I'd imagine that definitely electives in radiology would be an asset. Many types of cancer staging and tumor diagnosis relies on imaging studies, so being familiar with imaging would likely be helpful. Also of course, oncology would be an obvious choice.

I'd yet to look into applying for electives but I'd probably start going to the various school websites and looking at their med school pages. They should have sections on "visiting students" or "electives" or something along those lines with details on how and when to apply.

Hope that answers your questions.

Archived