<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Bad Waitlisted?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>MayFlower1</username>

<dateline>1054557960</dateline>

<title>Bad Waitlisted?</title>

<pagetext>Unfortunately, I received bad news AGAIN this year...I have no idea of what went wrong this year...I guess I'll have to do even more soul searching in the coming year!

I wish all of you on the good waitlist and those who have already received acceptances good luck...you'll make amazing doctors. I guess now, it's on to plans "B" and "C", which should be solidified this week...I'll let you know how things go.

For your interest, here's the text from the letter I received:

Dear Mr. X,

Your application for admission to the Faculty of Medicine for the academic year 2003-2004 was carefully considered by the Admissions Committee. At the present time offers have been made to the top 123 candidates on the basis of their composite score.

Your name has been placed on a waiting list. However, I must inform you, that, given your rank on this list, you are unlikely to receive an offer.

You will be notified by telephone or letter at your permanent address if your name appears at the top of the list, shoud a vacancy occur before September.

As soon as we receive 123 firm acceptances, candidates on the waiting list will be notified.

Although the sequential order of the waiging list does not change, rankings will change on a daily basis as students confirm acceptances. For this reason, candidates are requested not to call our office for their ranking position since this information cannot be given.

If you are offered admission to another medical school (outside the province) and wish to withdraw your name from our list, please advise us in writing or by e-mail.

Yours sincerely,

Richard L. Hebert, M.Sc., Ph.D.,

Assistant Dean, Admissions

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest multifish

I don't believe it Peter. There was no doubt in my mind (and in the mind of this collective board, I think) that you were going to get in to UofO. I'm so sorry.

Guest mumfirst

Peter,

I am absolutely in shock! :x I am so, so, so, sorry that you received this letter again. As many others on this board, I have never met you but feel that I know you from all of your very, very kind postings and assistance to others. I really don't know what else to say except that I really am sorry. Ottawa's lost has GOT to be someone else's gain.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your plan B? I hope that whatever it is, it includes reapplying again this year - perhaps to more schools?

Please keep us updated - I know that from what you say the chances are slim for getting into Ottawa now but stranger things have happened.

Keep your chin up and that smile on your face (I imagine you as a very "smiley" person) ;)

Guest tappety tap

Peter,

That's extremely disappointing to hear :(

I am soooo sorry...I'm glad to hear you're not giving up yet though. I hope I have the same attitude if I receive a bad waitlist letter.

The world would be a much better place if we had more Peter Hills running around.

(and the worldwide martini consumption would sky-rocket)

Guest misagh

Hey Peter, can you please send me a quick e-mail so I have your e-mail again? my e-mail is misaghziaei AT hotmail DOT com

Guest PDSP

Mayflower:

I am seriously disappointed in the selection committee at Ottawa. As has been previously mentioned, your consideration of others and willingness to provide an honest, thoughtful opinion would make you an ideal physician. Many physicians and physicians-to-be could do well to learn from your example.

I wish you the best in, as you stated, plan "B" or "C".

PD.

Guest shelleyrn

Peter!! So sorry (and shocked!!) to hear of your news! Don't give up! Good luck for the next cycle!!!! Shelley.....

Guest martyb

Hi Peter

I'm so sorry to hear about your letter. I just got the same one. I've known all along that I would reapply if I didn't get in (but this time I'll also apply to clinical psych and maybe law as backups). I don't mean to pry, and if you don't want to say anything right away, I will certainly understand, but I was wondering if you will reapply. As a fellow Ottawan, I'd be really happy to know that someone else will be going through the process with me again.

To everyone else who got the bad waitlist letter, I'm really sorry, but I'm going through it again, so hang in there! You will get another chance soon.

marty

Guest therealcrackers

Peter,

I'm very sorry to hear your news. I can't understand it, but then again Ottawa sent me a very nasty rejection letter when I applied a number of years ago, so I have questioned (;) ) their judgement on individual applicants---that's a personal bias, and congratulations et bonne chance to all of the successful candidates. Martinis will be available as the time of your choosing in London, to celebrate a)the remarkable movement of the waiting list b)summer time c)your company.

Cheers,

Graham

Guest aneliz

Hey Peter....very disappointed (as I'm sure you are) to hear your news....I was convinced that you were at least near the top of the 'good' waitlist this year!!!

I know its hard right now, but remember, it isn't over until you have the rejection in your hand...

Andrea

Guest NBer

Peter

I'm really sorry about your news...I wish you all the best for the upcoming year, and send many positive thoughts your way for the upcoming application cycle! But, you never know...maybe eveyone on the waitlist on this board with decline their spot after hearing your news! I will!!! :b but I have yet to hear from Ottawa...

Keep your chin up knowing that you have inspired many people on this board, and your dedication is greatly appreciated!

Guest wassabi101

Hey Peter, I wrote you an email regarding your message.

I just received my letter and am not too sure if I'm on the bad waitist or good waitist, because it's in French and well neither of the famous lines are there. I posted on the "fRench" topic if you'd like to read my letter....does anyone know??

This is driving me absolutely crazy...

-wassabi

Guest tirisa

I'm so sorry to hear about your letter, Peter. I haven't been checking these boards too much lately, but I specifically checked today to confirm my hopes that you got in.

You and Kirsteen have been cornerstones of support in this forum, and I think everyone who reads this board was absolutely shocked in the spring when Kirsteen didn't get an interview, and now we're all shocked again to hear your news. It's so sad to know that people who clearly are phenomenal communicators, amazing team players, and who have displayed amazing dedication and intelligence somehow have fallen through the cracks of the system.

Anyway, best of luck in your coming year and do keep trying. You'll be a great doctor when you get there.

Cheers,

Tirisa

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

OMG, I don't believe it! Words fail me. Like everybody else around here I thought you were a lock, Peter.

Nil desperandum,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE+24tb/HNgbK3bC2wRAqSNAJ9pUkE/sxutTP9584TsU8mGVi7u+gCcDtjc

RFry5Tki+fznZltX+blkzS8=

=TyH5

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest jmh2005

All I can say it that I'm quite discusted with UofO at this moment...so, so sorry...

If you ever have any thought of applying to Mac (experienced applicants are always welcome...drop me a line....)

One person in my class makes the trip to Ottawa every 2nd weekend to see his wife and does all his electives in the nations capital...

Take care :\

J

Guest MayFlower1

To all those who have responded to this post and shown their support...thank-you...I'll write a more detailed note once I collect my thoughts and finalize plan "b" or "c"...I'm a bit disappointed right now and am having some difficulty gathering my thoughts in an articulate fashion.

jmh2005, I'd love to drop you a line...unfortunately, your email address is turned off...please email me at peterhill16@hotmail.com

I definitely will be applying to Mac in the next cycle...I'd love to chat.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to post the smiley that I was going to post...although disappointed, I believe it still captures my overall feeling/attitude at this point in time:

large-smiley-002.gif

Peter

Guest stargirl

Peter,

I have no idea what to say...which is why I haven't posted in this thread yet...I'm totally dumbfounded!

They don't know what they're turning down!

I was bad waitlisted this morning too...sigh...plan B and C are in place but meds is my dream and i'm a bit sad that it's possible that it may never happen for me (the mocks were truly invaluable but i don't know if my interview phobia will ever be overcome...)

That huge smiley is great - you ARE a smiley kind of guy Peter!! And I know that it will happen for you! Some things are just meant to be!

p.s. you should send them that rejection rejection letter...or just show up on day 1 saying that you never received a rejection so you figured that you were in!! :rollin

stargirl

Guest macdaddyeh

Mayflower:

Although my username is Mac"daddy" you are the true father figure on the boards!

I've been waiting all weekend for you to post with good news! I'm convinced that many good ones are often overlooked. Ottawa doesn't know what it's missing.

I got shafted with the dreaded secondary list today at Mac as well, so let us chin up, take it like men and we can cross-post next application session about how we'll beat the Mac system together!

There's nowhere to go but up. I know you're not particularly religious, but nothing is impossible with God (my own personal motto, if I may be so obliged...)

Take care

Guest Koggetsu

its so weird how the interview process goes, like everyone else I thought for sure someone with your knowledge and experience would have gotten in. I've always thought that luck plays a big part in these interviews and so you shouldn't get too discouraged. I hope you try again next year, cause i'm sure you will get in.

Take care and good luck!

Guest Cosmo0

Of your letter Peter, no words but, stupid.. stupid.. committee. Utterly unreliable.

I didn't recieve any mail today. Although Ottawa is my only hope, I won't feel as bad about a bad list letter now. Cuz apparently, they just can't judge a person properly. My plan B is a post-doc somewhere in US probably.

Cos

Guest tappety tap

I'm gonna try to lighten up this thread by telling everyone that.........I got a good waitlist letter today!!!!

I am in shock really. I have no clue what I did that was any better than you guys who got the unfortunate bad waitlist letter. This really seems like the 6/49! I'm thrilled, but at the same time, very saddened by all the great applicants that I've met (you know who you are) who have been getting rejected.

Guest Tanya24

Great news tappety! I just opened my good waitlist letter as well. For all of you receiving the bad letter, Ottawa doesn't realize what they're missing. Follow your hearts and you'll make it soon. I know it.

Guest stargirl

tappety tap,

congratulations...that's awesome! just goes to show ya that moving to the big O is always a good decision!!

stargirl

Archived