Ottawa - Housing

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447220</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

Guest novacanuck

Hey All,

I got my letter from Ottawa yesterday...It seems I"ve been bad waitlisted. My GPA was 3.9/4.0 and my MCAT was 29 but they don't look at those so....

Anyway, best of luck to you all

Later,

Ben

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest camillefr

message for peter:

i wont say what e-mail, letter or waitlist i got this year, but i m extremely happy!!! i dont agree with the age comment. as u know i m the guy who did lottttttttttt of research on the school before applying especially the french programme this time around. bluntly put, it is your gpa which is killing u in the anglophone program, and maybe u r getting an above average interview but that wont get u far at all ie badwaiting list. with a gpa of 3.78 or whatever, u r big time disadvantaged for the anglophone program right off the back. i think u know french and u got 1 year to improve your french plus u are from ottawa so u will get franco-ontario special status. why would u not want to help out both communities in ottawa french and english? u can be bilingual physician what a chance!!!!people are so stupid!!! they have these stupid ideas, myths that u cant apply to french program cuz u r not biologically genetically french canadian. i know the french faculty very well and they know i am 100 percent anglo-ontarion from ottawa, i did my degree in english but SINCERELY would enjoy doing medicine in french and dont mind working at the montfort later. i did french immersion in ottawa thats all but worked my butt off to pass the french interview test this year and guess what???? think about what i said before plan b or c.

for old time sake i put the gpas for french program for 2003(u going to hate i know):

The French Program 2003 WGPA interview cutoffs (per regional category)

---------------------------------------------------------------

1)Franco-Ontario applicants-3.2

2)Programme National (francophone outside Ontario & Quebec)-3.4

3)Aylmer-Hull-Gatineau-Outaouais (Quebec)-3.6=Ottawa Region for anglophones

4)Rest of Quebec-3.87=Out of Province for anglophones

hope you get the point! 3.78 for anglophones is not impressive at all! in fact it sucks! i m saying it bluntly so u wont get upset next year. 3.78 is a problem!!! u need a 4.0 out of 4.0 interview that way. and good luck with that!

Guest tappety tap

CamilleFr.........

I happen to have a 3.78 exactly and I have been put on the good waitlist. Your words do not reflect the supportive and caring community that this board was meant to be. Telling people their gps "sucks" will not get you anywhere....

Guest MayFlower1

Camillefr,

i wont say what e-mail, letter or waitlist i got this year, but i m extremely happy!!!

What is the big secret with which letter you received? If you are happy, great for you.

as u know i m the guy who did lottttttttttt of research on the school before applying especially the french programme this time around. bluntly put, it is your gpa which is killing u in the anglophone program, and maybe u r getting an above average interview but that wont get u far at all ie badwaiting list.

For someone who did so much research on Ottawa U, you really have no idea about what the criteria are, do you? In fact, I would say, for some reason, it is my interview which is not clicking. My GPA is fine as evidenced by the fact that I am consistently getting interviews.

i think u know french and u got 1 year to improve your french plus u are from ottawa so u will get franco-ontario special status. why would u not want to help out both communities in ottawa french and english? u can be bilingual physician what a chance!!!!people are so stupid!!! they have these stupid ideas, myths that u cant apply to french program cuz u r not biologically genetically french canadian.

The francophone program at Ottawa U is intended largely, based on what I've read, to provide the francophone community with an opportunity to study medicine in their mother tongue. Sure, you can apply as an anglo to the franco program, but...and I do say but...if you aren't totally bilingual then (1) you're going to have significant trouble with the program...i.e., pbl and physician skills and (2) you will be taking away a spot from a true francophone who wants to study in french. I don't believe this should be used as "an easy way in" to medicine. Could I study in french...probably...would I want to get in via the franco route...definitely not. The program has specific goals and, quite frankly, I don't believe I fit those goals.

I would love to have a franco population should I ever study medicine...and I would do so even though I graduated through an anglophone program...what a concept. In fact, I could actually also choose to work at the Montfort hospital...I don't believe you have to have graduated through the franco program to work there.

I think the tone of your post (i.e., telling people they are stupid because they don't feel they should apply through the franco stream when they're not francophone) is really distasteful. If you do get into med school this year (or if you already have) I hope one thing you learn (aside from learning how to write in at least one of the two official languages) is a bit of bedside manner...your patients and colleagues will thank you.

hope you get the point! 3.78 for anglophones is not impressive at all! in fact it sucks! i m saying it bluntly so u wont get upset next year. 3.78 is a problem!!! u need a 4.0 out of 4.0 interview that way. and good luck with that!

Hmmm...I wonder how you might approach your patients given that kind of attitude...I'm sure they will appreciate you being so blunt as well. If you are accepted into the franco program this year, I hope your classmates are as blunt with you so you will..."get the point".

I am quite proud of my academic and life record...not only did I graduate with honours and distinction from my undergrad program, I also graduated with distinction from my Masters program...I was supported with an NSERC scholarship throughout my MA, won two teaching fellowships...I have 10 publications...8 U.S. patents...have created dozens of mass-marketed hardware consumer products...how about you?

Peter

Guest UofCMeds2005

I have a couple of quick comments...

I interviewed for uofc this past round and I can honestly say I did not consider or even think about the applicants age, sex, BMI, or any other physcial attribute. As an earlier respondant said I merley listen two how they answer the questions. UofC looks at X# specific categories (scored 1-10) for each applicant during the interview - I can't really list them b/c that would be unethical. But, my point is uofc has decided what X# or so personal qualities they want more info about for each applicant that cannot really be assessed via paper. You can write that you are compassionate caring blah blah on your app - but it is how you answer specific questions that let me see how genuine you really are. Those 12 areas are important to uofc and the kind of physcian they want to create... The interviews are important to decide whether or not you fit with the uofc program - which is somewhat of an alternative program. ALso, interviews are important b/c they can help evaluate someone's communication skills - which is the very foundation of medicine.

Second, Peter uofc takes many non-trad apps every year. If you write the MCAT I think you should consider applying - it is only 3 years too:)

Third, People should apply to the french program b/c they truly want to study med in french - not as a back door b/c they think they will not get in through the anglophone route. That theory can be very insulting to those applying via the french route.

Also, there are just not enough spots for qualified applicants - that is the problem - not that the wrong people are getting in...

Guest UWOMED2005

A couple thoughts of my own.

To avenirv - ooh, we're getting into some tricking definitions there as to treat, help, heal. I'm glad you didn't say "cure" - there's an unfortunately few number of cures in medicine. A lot of treatments are just helping people manage their symptoms. I think sometimes you've got to take solace in the fact you're doing nothing more than just "helping" them somehow.

g22g - I too interviewed this year. My thoughts echo UofCMeds2005's. I wasn't conciously profiling for any of the things you listed, but I will admit that subconciously, some of those things do get picked up on and fit into the whole impression. But I will add one thing you missed that I think is way more important to that overall impression: did I get a general imperession that this is a person who is confident in themself, who can carry on a reasonable conversation with a patient? Or does this person seem nervous, nitpicking at every detail in their presentation.

Sometimes you've just got to relax and either realize, or at least hope, there's no agenda against you. Besides, if there is, does it help to realize it. . . unless it's something you could obviously change, like putting on less makeup?

As for the weight thing. Ooh! That's a controversial topic. . . worthy of its own thread. There was actually a discussion on Delphi about this last year. I'm not sure it's a doctors duty to be a role model. And it certainly is not a doctor's job to tell people how to run their lives. . . just to advise them of the consequences of living their lives a certain way. Yes, it's extremely important for health reasons to maintain your weight within healthy parameters, and doctors should encourage to do so. But doctors need to be compassionate about the issue either. . . if they're thin, have always been thin despite eating three of those Pizza Huts p'zones per day, and they're knocking people for being fat, I don't think that's helping either.

I have a number of profs who aren't their ideal weight. I think you'd be worse in interview with them arguing "you should be fit, otherwise you're opening yourself up to discrimination" than to just be yourself and to let your belt back out the three notches you were pulling in.

Anyways, that's a worthy discussion topic. . . you should start a new thread.

camillefr - you might had your success in getting into Ottawa by falsely applying as a francophone applicant, but I don't think it's advisable to be suggesting to others they should be doing the same, especially suggesting they're "stupid" if they don't. Nor do I think it is a good idea to be bragging about this strategy on the Internet. Are you sure what you've done is legal? I don't mean you've done a "little research" sure. I mean really, really 100% proof positive talked to the Dean of Admissions about it yourself sure?

If I were you, I'd want to be. Because the only thing worse than not getting into medical school is getting in, slave your butt off for 3 years, accumulate $90,000 in debt. . . only to get kicked out because there was something false in your application. $90,000, nothing to show for it, and no real way of paying for it. . . I'd take a couple of bad waitlist letters over that any day.

Guest UofCMeds2005

As a med student I have come to realize that doctors have to do more than just treat and heal their patients. As a physcian you are there to care for your patients not just thier illness!

For instance, helping a paitent cope with thier illness/Dx, recognize an alcohol problem, discuss their illness with family members... If you are not there to help your patients you may miss an alcohol problem unrelated to their presenting complaint. Or worse recognize it and not bother to help them...

Most of all patients want doctors that care and those who are genuinly there for them. For instance, putting their hand on their shoulder when they are in pain or at a difficult moment -comforting them etc. Or just taking a second to listen to their fears or anxieties...

Patients in many ways define great physcians - they want physcians who want to help them ie. show compassion, understand their illnesses & treatment. They appreciate physcians who care enough to understand the impact of their illness on their life.

For me that is the diff between helping and Dx and Rxing a patient... For instance,

If two physcians a and b equally Dx and Rx a patient - the greater physcian is the one that relates to his/her patients better - or that leaves them happy, satified, and informed!

Sorry for all the spelling and grammer mistakes - I am in a rush...

Guest eJaya

Hi Peter,

I don't believe I have written to you before but I read your posts all of the time (even though I didn't apply to Ottawa U). I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you didn't get in and I hope you achieve all you want to in the coming year. You have also given me a tremendous amount of courage and hope in this whole admissions process.

Lastly, my boyfriend (an english grad student) and I really think you have picked the wrong profession and should go into literary cristicism! Your posts are so well written- and I quote:

"learn to write in one of two official languages"

You crack us up!

Take Care

Margaret Jaya

Guest camillefr

many times i say things here which are really to stir up heated discussions. no bad feelings. nickname loyle green. i really hope you get accepted into medicine peter. the fact is i got accepted into McMaster and nooooooo I did not get accepted into ottawa u with allllllllllllllllll my research on the french program. it didnt work out yet. i hope you get the winning loto-ontario ticket and thats what i believe this medicine admission is. i agree your gpa is good but i cant imagine you doing average in interview. so it gotta be the gpa thing . one of the french interviewers told me for the anglophone to be competitive you need a 3.9 something. i dont know if he is just trying to make the anglophone competition look so much superior. i m an applicant like you so i dont know. you said somewhere people got in had 3.9 or something for anglos? so it does correspond to what he said to me?????

you made me figure something out about myself, i could never be a loyle green on forum hehehe. i think i m setting myself up here for jokes hehehe. sorry for acting silly for the past few months. but not all i said was bad. the info about the french program for anglo-ontarions is correct but the way i said it got people angry. sorry again. i did get semi-good news from ottawa but i like 3 year program better. IIII never in my life thought i would get into mcmaster neverrrrrrrrrr and i got in!!!!!!!!! but i did get about 15 mcmaster students and graduates to help me with the interview. over 40 hours of interview practice with them-not kidding! so next year you will hear from me telling the forum all about mcmaster. but in a nicer kinder tone and not to stir up discussions anymore.

Guest MayFlower1

eJaya,

Thanks for the idea! It's a great one! Actually, my current profession (market and product design research) requires me to write and present research findings. If you're going be convincing, especially when reporting on findings and recommendations, it helps if you can draw in your audience. Although not my greatest asset, I seem to have developed somewhat of a knack for writing. My elementary school English teacher (she also happened to be the most brutal Vice Principle) would be proud. You see, I was a remedial English student in elementary school (ha ha...it's true!). The only reason I ever learned grammer and how to write was that she, for some reason, took a liking to me and offered to provide me with extra English lessons after school (lucky me). Well, interestingly (maybe not so interesting, but funny), she had the absolute worst breath you could imagine - and she'd sit really close while teaching me out of an English grammer book. I told myself...self...you could sit here and smell her breath forever...or just learn the darn language so you can stop this nonsense! Thanks to this individual, I graduated with an A+. A strange but true story.

I'm really pleased that I was able to facilitate your courage in some way. One of the things I've learned over my life is that people can do amazing things if given a chance, that is, if put in an environment which fosters such responses. If I've somehow provided that for you then I too am very happy and feel as if I have had some positive impact on someone. That alone has made participating in this forum this year worth a great deal to me.

Oh my god...I can't believe you suggested I should choose "literary criticism" as a profession...I hate reading :lol

Take care and thanks again for the kind words of support.

Peter

you should pat yourself on the back for being courageous!

Guest MayFlower1

camillefr,

the fact is i got accepted into McMaster

You got accepted into Mac?

[unimportant note - Mayflower falls to the ground...kicking, stomping and screaming like a baby...wishing he had applied to Mac this year]

As Dr. Evil says "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhttttttt". Holy moly...you must have some life experiences. It's interesting that I've never read any of your posts in the Mac forum...it's one of the other forums I follow closely. Do you post under a different name in that forum? If so, what name do you post under? Why haven't you posted your acceptance in the Mac forum? What was your GPA? What do you believe facilitated you getting a spot in Mac? I'd really be interested to know as I plan on applying there next year and could really use some advice.

Camillefr, if you really did get into mac this year please do the Canadian population a favour and look to your classmates and others in your life with respect to how to treat people, how to investigate problems, and how to synthesize information in order to come up with a logical answer to these problems. If you didn't get accepted into Mac...shame on you...you should seek help.

Peter

Guest olystoy

Hi all,

Just wondering if some of the current U of O med students can comment on housing in Ottawa. Specifically, is housing available on residence? If so, how likely is it to secure a spot? In terms of off campus sites, what's the rent like? Also, can one get around with a car?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

oly

• 2 years later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Bad Waitlisted?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Archived