Premed 101 Forums

Dental School vs Med School + otolaryngology-head and neck surgery a.k.a. stomatology

ORIGINAL THREAD HERE

Hi,

Apparently the distinction is more prevalent in Europe, but I still have a hard time choosing witch path is better for me. (e.g. length of programs, applications, needs in population, responsibilities, career choices, academia/research/grad/post-grad, salary, law/politics, practice, etc.) I would like to start this discussion with anyone really, but particularly people who are asking themselves similar questions, have made one choice are the other, have made both!?... is that even possible? know someone in one of the previous situations?

Anyway, I know it's summer right now, but I'm hoping I'll get a few ansewrs.

Thank you.

Hi

Stomatology is NOT ENT, it is oral and maxillo facial surgery (OMFS), and you can get into OMFS only through the dental school route. Stomatology is just the name that europeans give to OMFS. Keep in mind that in many countries OMFS is a medical specialty not a dental specialty. It's not the case here in Canada (even though some schools grant you the MD during the OMFS residency but you NEED a DDS/DMD first).

Peace

I'm not sure I get it.

Are you saying that to practice OMFS in Canada you need D.M.D.+ M.D.???

What are the major differences between OMFS and ENT?

Thanks

u don't NEED MD to practice OMFS. OMFS is a specialty in dentistry followed by dental education of DDS/DMD. when u finish ur dental school n get into a OMFS program, some programs grant u MD along with ur OMFS certificate for a 6 yr program. 4 yr programs don't. they just give u masters.

ENT is a specialty in medicine followed by medical education of MD.

u can google them for the differences between OMFS n ENT i'm sure...they r quite different!

u don't NEED MD to practice OMFS. OMFS is a specialty in dentistry followed by dental education of DDS/DMD. when u finish ur dental school n get into a OMFS program, some programs grant u MD along with ur OMFS certificate for a 6 yr program. 4 yr programs don't. they just give u masters.

ENT is a specialty in medicine followed by medical education of MD.

u can google them for the differences between OMFS n ENT i'm sure...they r quite different!

Do you mean "ENT is a specialty in medicine following a medical education (MD)"?

This forum is really helpful.

Basically I'm interested in oral health and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, what would probably be the most appropriate path.

Thanks.

Question: What do the following 4 things have in common?

a) oral health

B) facial plastic & reconstructive surgery

c) brain disorders

d) glaucoma and cataracts

Answer: They're all located in the head!

Question: So what career will allow me to do all the things related with the head?

Answer: You're an idiot aren't you.

a) oral health

c) brain disorders

Question: So what career will allow me to do all the things related with the head?

LOL. harsh but true.

Personally, I don't really know why anyone would want to do 8 years (DDS/DMD + MD), and then a residency, just to become a maxillofacial surgeon, which isn't really any more prosperous/interesting as any other medical profession. Seems like a side door out of dentistry and into medicine as far as I'm concerned.

Or am I wrong, and you don't need a residency after your MD to do MFS?

a) oral health

c) brain disorders

Yes estairella,

Sadly, I fell on my head at age 3, and now have a limited intelligence and all my thoughts are focused on all thing related head. I fear I will never recover :rolleyes:

I'm not interested in brain disorders, glaucoma and cataracts. That's not ENT and OMS are about.

Like I said I'm interested in dentistry and related practices, but I honestly don't know that much about DMD and MD, or more like I'm really insecure and I need information to be validated, so thats why I have those concerns that seem to be a no brainers for you.

Otherwise, I guess I'll flush the netiquette down the toilet too.:D

LOL. harsh but true.

Personally, I don't really know why anyone would want to do 8 years (DDS/DMD + MD), and then a residency, just to become a maxillofacial surgeon, which isn't really any more prosperous/interesting as any other medical profession. Seems like a side door out of dentistry and into medicine as far as I'm concerned.

I'm just more interested in this part of human anatomy and learning related applications, and helping people with similar problems...as for a way out of dentistry, I don't see how its a problem, but anyways I'm not even in Uni yet

I'm just more interested in this part of human anatomy and learning related applications, and helping people with similar problems...as for a way out of dentistry, I don't see how its a problem, but anyways I'm not even in Uni yet

haha i could tell...but i won't say anything since u admitted. i guess there is nothing wrong w/ being curious...:rolleyes:

LOL. harsh but true.

Yeah I'm pretty sure MFS is just dental + 4 years of med (I think maybe your clerkship years are different or something), but once you finish the four there is no residency to do still. So technically it's a year faster than ENT, haha. (I just checked online, UWO's program is 6 years but also includes an M. Sc, McGill's is a 4 year program with the option of doing a Master's).

This forum is really helpful.

Basically I'm interested in oral health and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, what would probably be the most appropriate path.

Thanks.

OK there's lots of BS that's been said in this thread but I don't have the time to correct all the info.

Bottom line is: if you're really into plastc and reconstructuve facial surgery, I recommend you (but it's NOT the only route): MD + plastics

Peace

Archived