Premed 101 Forums

Recommendations for electives

Hi guys

I'm an international student at Saba University and looking to start applying within a few months for some electives in Canada. Does anyone have advice on good schools to do the following rotations:

Internal Medicine

Family Medicine

Emergency Medicine

A bit of a broad topic, I know, but any advice on places you have rotated in these specialties which really stood out to you would be appreciated. Preferably in Ontario, but I'm willing to travel anywhere. Also programs that are more IMG friendly would be the best, since I'd like to do residency in Canada over the US if possible.

Thanks!

There always seem to be IMGs (or soon-to-be IMGs) around in Halifax, but I'm not sure I've met one from Saba - certainly from Ireland and the UK though.

That's interesting, because a large % of our student body is from the Maritimes, and I heard they all like to go back there for rotations. I think I remember that many of them were doing rotations around Antigonish, so maybe that's why you haven't seen them around.

Hi guys

I'm an international student at Saba University and looking to start applying within a few months for some electives in Canada. Does anyone have advice on good schools to do the following rotations:

Internal Medicine

Family Medicine

Emergency Medicine

A bit of a broad topic, I know, but any advice on places you have rotated in these specialties which really stood out to you would be appreciated. Preferably in Ontario, but I'm willing to travel anywhere. Also programs that are more IMG friendly would be the best, since I'd like to do residency in Canada over the US if possible.

Thanks!

If you're interested in FRCPC EM, I think Toronto has the most IMG spots in the country (3). It is possible to match to U of T emerg without having done an elective here, but it can't hurt -- especially as an IMG. St. Mike's emerg is fun and the staff are all pretty keen (not dis'ing Sunnybrook, I just haven't worked in that ER yet).

• 2 weeks later...

i'd highly recommend a rural family medicine elective. you'll get the whole spectrum of practice, and programs just loooooooooove if you show interest in working rurally, especially with underserved populations

my recommendations would be iqaluit or goose bay. if you're coming all the way from saba, might as well have an adventure

Thanks for the suggestions!

Haha, ok so:

Best spot for FM: UWO

Best spot for EM: UofT

And one vote for going up to Iqualuit, where I'll probably instantly freeze to death after being acclimatized to 30 degree weather for the last 20 months. Hmmm. I might pass on that one. :) But I do think rural practice would be cool because of the increase in scope.

Mac is known to have a great FM program but I can't recommend anyone specifically. UWO may be more IMG-friendly, though.

I did a FM in Wawa/Sault Ste Marie and really enjoyed it. As you said, a greater scope of practice. If you search on the threads, I've spoken about it before. It was organized through NOMP.

For FM, most applicants do not necessarily do FM electives though. A lot of other specialties work well for the diversity - IM, Emerg, dermatology, etc.

If you want to get into an IM residency, Mac and Toronto have great programs. Best to try to do a CTU elective, though, especially for Toronto and work with people on the selection committee.

For Toronto, I recommend CTU at TWH and St Mike's. I also liked my Resp rotation through TGH/TWH/MSH. I did a nephro elective at Mac that I enjoyed. Nephro is also good at UWO (I can recommend UH).

Hope this helps.

Archived