Premed 101 Forums

How is UWO Health Sci?

Yes, it's a health studies program....

Ethics, Critical Thinking, Policy are more the focus. There are some sciency courses, mainly anatomy but the focus of the program is health admin.

Most courses in the beginning are 2 exams and a major essay. As the course level goes up, a lot of group projects. Mind you, I managed to get my health sci degree without ever taking a 4000 level course.

Courses are generally fair, and grades are attainable. I felt the degree gave me a lot of knowledge on our healthcare system when it was time to do interviews.

But most of ppl with good english skills get good marks.. so if your english is your first language, then I think it is a good program for grade wise..

That's the issue. I tend to do worse in essay courses and better in science. I will probably look at the med sci programs at UWO.

Essays can be subjectively marked, which is really my only worry. That said, I've had good results in the past with finishing a paper nice and early, going to the prof and saying "Here's what I've got, how can I make this an A+ essay?" and then basically go to town on whatever pointers I get. If I can do this in the essay courses at UWO and, as Supafield said, the marking is fair and reasonable (i.e. you don't the profs who give low marks on principle) then I'll be doing the program.

Based on the GPA's of some of the Health Sci grads on the forum and even based on the posted course averages on the website (low to high 70's - seems pretty high for undergrad courses!) it appears that its possible to pull 3.9-4.0 if you put the effort in... like most programs.

Just to add - I checked out the course requirements. You can actually take a wide range of courses to satisfy the core components, and many of these include science classes.

Some of the science courses: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, Genetics, Organic Chem for Life Sciences, Medical Epidemiology, Human Physiology (the 2000 and 3000 level courses) can all satisfy the required courses for the general Health Sci Honours course... and if you do the Health Science and Biology you actually get even more Chem, Biochem, and Bio courses.

Archived