Premed 101 Forums

Committee meeting

What type of drinks do you speak of? lol

Ask other people in your lab how things roll for committee meetings for them. I was in two different labs and there were two different ways of doing things. For one, I had to make a bring a carafe of coffee with the usual garnishings, while for the other I did nothing more than bring myself and my presentation.

Ask other people in your lab how things roll for committee meetings for them. I was in two different labs and there were two different ways of doing things. For one, I had to make a bring a carafe of coffee with the usual garnishings, while for the other I did nothing more than bring myself and my presentation.

Vodka!!! Just kidding. I was thinking in bringing coke drinks that come in cans. One of my friends that works in the lab brought cookies but he said no one ate them. It's a small lab so I'm not sure what the other brought at the lab.

I usually brought homemade muffins or cookies and juice, or thinks like cheese and Raincoast Crisps to my committee meetings. When/if there was anything left, my labmates certainly didn't complain about helping finish off the leftovers! Talk to your labmates or other people in the department to see what is standard for committee meetings.

I was just wondering what is the worst that has happened in your committee meeting? What pitfalls have you had in your committee meeting?

The worst thing that happened to me is that my own supervisor left me "drowning in the water". He asked me questions about my work that he never asked me during previous personal meetings with him regarding my work. He was essentially sabotaging me in front of the rest of my committee.

This is not normal behaviour, however, and most supervisors want their students to show in the best possible light in front of their professorial colleagues. I think the worst that happened otherwise was not being able to answer an off the wall question from one of my committee members, but really it is better to say 'I don't know' in the privacy of a committee meeting than when you are presenting your work at your defense or at a scientific meeting. :)

The worst thing that happened to me is that my own supervisor left me "drowning in the water". He asked me questions about my work that he never asked me during previous personal meetings with him regarding my work. He was essentially sabotaging me in front of the rest of my committee.

This is not normal behaviour, however, and most supervisors want their students to show in the best possible light in front of their professorial colleagues. I think the worst that happened otherwise was not being able to answer an off the wall question from one of my committee members, but really it is better to say 'I don't know' in the privacy of a committee meeting than when you are presenting your work at your defense or at a scientific meeting. :)

Have you ever heard of fights at committee meetings? Like verbal fights where the committee members start fighting with each other and then a boxing match begins:)

Archived