Premed 101 Forums

GPA and chances

Hi,

Hi,

So, as far as rural goes, I have lived in the country my whole life... my address is a rural route number, but it is in southern ontario, how would NOSM look at this? (i do have a genuine interest in rural practice).

Also how do I calculate my GPA for NOSM admission?

Stats:

First 2 years @ a college, in a DEGREE (applied degree, not diploma) program

Year 1 - 3.82

Year 2 - 3.81 (only 1 semester done in this year)

Last 2 years @ a university (transfered)

Year 3 - 79% average

Year 4 - 82% average (3 semesters, 1 summer)

Thank you in advance.

NOSM takes into account all of the work you do for your degree. There's no weighting or best-two-years stuff. The average GPA for successful applicants there is a little under 3.7.

Jury is still out on how more rural areas in southern Ontario fit in. Have you tried e-mailing or phoning them or something? Personally I'd be a bit iffy on my chances in your shoes. The school was created to train physicians who'd want to work in northern Ontario, where there's a lack of physicians, or in other rural/underserviced parts of Canada. Southern Ontario really isn't underserviced at all. Even if you're from a small town there, you're still only an hour or so away from a big urban centre like Ottawa, or Kingston, or Toronto, or wherever. So you'd for sure want to look into it more and not put all your eggs in one basket. But definitely apply anyway, as they accept some non-northern Ontario people every year.

I think I will apply, as I have lived in the country my whole life, and do have a genuine rural interest. I believe my EC's and essay are solid and should impress.

I'll give them a call about the rural thing I guess.

What I was really worried about is my last two years of GPA, 79% and 82% average, which I believe calculates to around a 3.45... while my first 2 would be average 3.81. Overall i'm guessing my GPA is around 3.55-3.6 ? Very busy year, missed a few marks a should have got and my GPA took a bit of hit.

Archived