Premed 101 Forums

StudentLoan-credit card from parents

Hi,

I'm starting med this coming Sept. I've been out of high school for 4 years so I'm considered independent in terms of loan application.

My parents are not giving me money per se, but they are giving me a credit card so I can use to help with living expense. Do I have to declare that on my student loan app? And how would I go about declaring that?

Thanks for the help.

Hi,

I'm starting med this coming Sept. I've been out of high school for 4 years so I'm considered independent in terms of loan application.

My parents are not giving me money per se, but they are giving me a credit card so I can use to help with living expense. Do I have to declare that on my student loan app? And how would I go about declaring that?

Thanks for the help.

nope, no need to declare it - it is not income, an asset, or credit in your name :)

thx for the replies.

but would it be considered "money gift"? and in that case, declarable?

At the time of the application you actually haven't recieved any money at all (assuming you haven't already taken out a cash advance on the card). So it is not yet a gift :)

I would like to think it is a 'loan' which your loving parents may choose to eventually forgive.

I know a person who was in a desperate financial cicumstance and under provincial welfare, which did not nearly cover the monthly essential expenses. Accordingly, this person received a (secondary) credit card in her name on the credit of a loving family member, and was able to have cable TV, an internet account and pay for essentials when the money ran out. This was a necessary supplement, be it a forgiven loan or whatever. It was never a problem.

• 1 month later...

Archived