Premed 101 Forums

Good waitlist?

Guest GordUW

Guest GordUW

Hi everyone

received the mail to day, good waitlist i guess, cuz no "you will unlikely receive an offer" line.

also received an offer from U of T, probably take that one, but undecided on Ottawa.

Any suggestions regarding why Ottawa?

Thanx

PS this forum has been great, thanx to all the people contributed here.

Guest doctorfunk

Hey GordUW,

I also received the good waitlist from Ottawa today too.

Good luck to you on being yanked off the list after a short stay...

Guest wassabi101

Congrats to you both!

So what does this good waitlisted really mean? :\ Does anyone know how many got off it last year? I know that a past post mentionned that about 50% of this year's class was comprised of people off the wait list, but I'm not too sure how accurate that is with regards to the French and English program and if last year was similar to other years..

I'm going to have to renew or reject my lease by the 20th of June..Does anyone know if anyone had been contacted off the waiting list by then?

thanks-

wassabi

Guest Tanya24

Hi wassabi,

Last years, some forum posters were being called right after the initial 2-week period that 1st rounders have to make their decisions. I saw people posting on June 14th that they were getting in off the good waitlist. Then again, one of the moderators mentioned that he/she got called of the good waitlist in mid-July. Arghhh! Good luck getting an early offer so you don't end up in a hotel!! :) hee hee

Tanya.

Guest Tanya24

Okay, I just did a quick check through the "Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted???" threads of the other Canadian schools. At least 8 people (possibly 9 - I'm not sure about one response) indicated that they were planning to turn down their acceptance OR good waitlist status at Ottawa in favour of another school. And these are just the people who choose to post their results on this board. Seems like good news for the waitlists.

While we're discussing the good waitlist, can anyone clarify something?: through reading past posts, for the past 2 years it seems that Ottawa has exhausted the good waitlist and even dipped into the bad waitlist to fill their incoming class. Does anyone have information to the contrary??

Thanks for indulging my impatience!

Guest stargirl

Tanya24...

Just my $0.02 but at the info session Nicole Racine stated that if you were on the good waitlist there was a very good chance that you would receive an offer...

I think that they had to dip into the bad waitlist last year but I'm not positive about that...guess you'd have to poll the first year class to be absolutely sure :P

So hang tight...good waitlist = GOOD waitlist...you just have to be patient...A friend of my room mate's was accepted off the good waitlist 2 years ago - she didn't hear until the beginning of July...

Guest wassabi101

Thanks tanya and stargirl for the info!

Tanya--I feel very much the same as you! :eek I found all this past info from last year's threads and I also went through the other school's postings for the first time to see who had been accepted where (but hadn't come up with that number which I'm super glad to see! :D ) I have no idea how much of it is true--some girl posted getting off the bad waitlist in July but then another a few days later getting off the good waitist also in July...so who knows? :rolleyes

It would be great if some of the moderators could comment cause I would love to call the Ottawa U admissions and find out but I really don't want to be doing too much bugging! ;)

I'm also in a funny position because of this whole french thing-- If I'm # 45 let's say out of 60 and a 45th spot becomes available but it's in the English program, since I applied to the French program, do they skip over me?? There's an argument for fairness either way...so I'm not really sure what they do. Does anyone have any insights??

The numbers on that OMSAS page that was quoted on a previous thread also only says approx 30ish people rejected an offer in 2001-2002--that's far away from the end of the good wait list...:\

I think some of us should probably hear around the acceptance deadline of June 15th...hopefully all of us!:D

Cheers,

-wassabi

Guest Tanya24

Hi wassabi,

I'm glad to have found a kindred spirit :) . Sometimes I worry I am the only one who ruminates so much. As for your question, I expect that you are right regarding the French program. If I understand correctly, I am competing for one of the 95 english spots and you are competing for one of the 40 french spots. If a french spot opens up, I cannot be considered for it. I wonder if there are 2 separate wait lists?? That would make the most sense. Failing that, I suspect you are correct in saying my name wold be skipped over until they reached the next available french candidate.

I know the OMSAS page states only 37 ppl rejected an offer, but remember that many people on the waitlist will renounce their spots before even getting an offer. I suspect that's what makes the waitlist move so much. Remember, they stated they expect to make 200-250 offers to fill the class. Maybe I'm just in a dreamworld, but I think both our chances are good at this point.

Good luck wassabi, T.

Guest tappety tap

I think I remember hearing from Nicole at the info session that the french and english people are all lumped together on one list, ranked only by interview score and then by gpa within the ties. I could be wrong.....Does anyone else remember her saying this?

Guest lsaville

Does anyone know how many people are on the good waitlist? Are you guys guessing 60 people or is this a number from a reputable source?

I guess we have more waiting to do since I'm not so sure we can relie on the "numbers game". I suppose Ottawa expects most or all of the people on the good waitlist to get in, otherwise it wouldn't be a good waitlist. Like they said however, there are no guarentees; It depends on how many accept/decline their offers.

It sucks though that they won't tell us our initial ranking on this list so that some of us can relax a little. I guess they just don't want to get our hopes up.

Well, I'll be checking up on how you are all coping with the wait. Hopefully we will all be called :rollin

She D

Guest avenirv

i think there are 2 different lists. you cannot get an anglo in the frenchie group, he doesn't speak french. or a frenchie with a pour english into the anglo class.

the moderators stressed a couple of times that the university doesn't like the frenchies going to the anglo class but being admitted into the franco group.

good luck for all! i am sure all of you are very good guys, but at the same time i think sometimes only the LUCK is the one that decides!

Guest Tanya24

Hi Isaville,

I think 60 was an estimate. Here are some real numbers from the Information sessions:

516 people interviewed (approx. 80-100 in French, the rest English)

the top 123 given first round offers

the bottom 250 given the bad waitlist letter

thus, the remaining 140some get the good waitlist letter.

Personally, I am surprised that people have been taken off the bad waitlist in the past 2 years. One would think the class would be full by then?? I guess not. Not that I'm complaining!!

If anyone has further information, please share! Thanks, and good luck everyone.

Guest wassabi101

Hey all,

I'm glad to hear you're all so hopeful! :)

The other fact that complicates the whole English/French thing is *bilingual applicants* that stated it as so in the application. Many people I know and have heard of have been asked if they prefer studying in English or French. One guy got interviewed for the English program but when asked, chose the French, since he was completely bilingual and liked the smaller group size.

Other than that, the only other thing I can add to your numbers Tanya is that there were 130 interviews for the French program this year, the rest English. But the rest are the same I took down.

Well good luck to all of you still waiting! :D

Cheers!

-wassabi

Archived