Premed 101 Forums

Some questions about UofO's program

Guest Namgalsip

Guest Namgalsip

I was wondering if anyone can answer these questions for me.

1. Do student at Ottawa finish all their clerkship rotations prior to CaRMs matching?

2. Is there any possibility to perform anatomical dissections?

3. Do student at Ottawa have a difficult time matching to competitive residency spots (not that I have any intention to, but it doesn't hurt to know)?

4. Do student at Ottawa tend to study in groups or on their own?

5. How long is O-week?

6. At the end of each block, do you have a set of exams or just one big exam?

7. What is the mean age of the entering class?

I probably have tons more but that's all I can think of now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Nams

Guest UOMeds05

1. Do student at Ottawa finish all their clerkship rotations prior to CaRMs matching?

Yes. What is nice about the set-up is that you do not start any of your Stage II elective time until all of your core rotations are done (this way you aren't walking in to the wards inexperienced and trying to make a good impression)... you then start your 4th year with your electives, in time to finish before any interviewing for CaRMS has begun.

2. Is there any possibility to perform anatomical dissections?

Yes. During the actual anatomy labs, all cadavers are pro-sected (by the anatomy team). However, there are elective opportunities throughout first, second and third year surgery rotation to do actual dissections.

3. Do student at Ottawa have a difficult time matching to competitive residency spots (not that I have any intention to, but it doesn't hurt to know)?

this really differs from year to year and depends on the number of applicants to each program. Ottawa traditionally does quite well, i don't know the actual stats, but again, depends on the year.

4. Do student at Ottawa tend to study in groups or on their own?

This is simply a question of preference. Myself, i like studying with one, maybe 2 other people. many in my class are the same... this will depend on your peer group.

5. How long is O-week?

Orientation at Ottawa is 2 FULL WEEKS LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is a great time... I promise, where you make many friends and be completely exhausted by the end!

6. At the end of each block, do you have a set of exams or just one big exam?

Just one big exam! So most blocks are 5 or 6 weeks long which corresponds to 3-4 weeks of relaxing and 2 weeks of hard-core studying.

7. What is the mean age of the entering class?

This differs a little bit from year to year but averages about 23-24.

Hope this helps.

Guest Namgalsip

Thank you so much UOmeds05. You told me exactly what I wanted to hear.

I can't believe it. 2 weeks for Orientation! That's amazing!!!!!! I'm so excited!

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Nams

Archived