Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

I'm a M.Sc student who finished undergrad with a 3.54. It was only this low because of one course that I barely passed. I also went through a very tough undergraduate program. I have good extracurriculars and good MCAT scores. Am I still in the running for medical school? On a side note I speak French so I could try for the French ones as well if my chances were good. Do any of them besides McGill consider your undergraduate program of studies?

My MCAT scores are 30Q (10 in each section) and my yearly GPA was usually between 3.6 and 3.7 except for the one semester where it was 3.2 because of the bad grade. My extracurriculars are really good though (leadership activity, hospital volunteering, soon physician shadowing)

My MCAT scores are 30Q (10 in each section) and my yearly GPA was usually between 3.6 and 3.7 except for the one semester where it was 3.2 because of the bad grade. My extracurriculars are really good though (leadership activity, hospital volunteering, soon physician shadowing)

30 is okay... though a R writing sample and 11 in verbal would probably save you a lot of worring. Unless you have 2 years above 3.7, will not qualify for Western or queens and probably wont be competitive at ottawa and mac. U of t might have a shot, but those "really good ECs" better pop out of the page. Im not sure though... chime in guys. Is physician shadowing a good ec?

To be quite honest with, your MCAT is okay, but hardly competitive; it won't at all make up for your GPA. Neither would your ECs, unless you have more that you're not telling us. I have done those same ECs and I consider my ECs to be pretty weak.

If you're willing to go to med school in French, I heard Ottawa reserves seats for French speaking applicants (interview is also in French) who are from outside Ontario, Quebec, Maritimes, that are pretty easy to get. Unfortunately, if you are from, say, Ontario, it doesn't really help you that much.

well since ur a masters student what was your productivity like? if u published a few papers and overall have a good report with your supervisor i would still consider applying to uft or queens because both give a little breathing room for grad students, and would generally to less harsh on low undergrad marks for example uft cut offs for grad students is a 3.0, and you are well above that. With that said competition is still tough, but atleast you would be above the minimum requirements and thus would have a shot so i would say go for it, you neve rknow what could happen!

I'm a M.Sc student who finished undergrad with a 3.54. It was only this low because of one course that I barely passed. I also went through a very tough undergraduate program. I have good extracurriculars and good MCAT scores. Am I still in the running for medical school? On a side note I speak French so I could try for the French ones as well if my chances were good. Do any of them besides McGill consider your undergraduate program of studies?

well since ur a masters student what was your productivity like? if u published a few papers and overall have a good report with your supervisor i would still consider applying to uft or queens because both give a little breathing room for grad students, and would generally to less harsh on low undergrad marks for example uft cut offs for grad students is a 3.0, and you are well above that. With that said competition is still tough, but atleast you would be above the minimum requirements and thus would have a shot so i would say go for it, you neve rknow what could happen!

For Queen's, grad students still have to meet the MCAT cutoffs...

Archived