Premed 101 Forums

Space in Ottawa sketch

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I was hoping to pick some brains re: how folks have approached this in the past, or how they are tackling it now. In the U. Ottawa sketch, there seems to be quite a few characters allocated to the "Level of Education", "Hours" and "Full/Part-time" sections--at least, more than may be necessary to complete the information requested. Have you guys used any of these spaces to add extraneous information? The 150 characters for the "Responsibilities" section certainly seems small for the amount of "...what I learned" material that could go in there along with the responsibilities themselves.

Would you mind sharing?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest thesaug

Hi Kirsteen,

I check with Ottawa, and they said not to use the extra space in the 100 character section to list responsibilities, etc. To save on space, you can write in point form (i am not sure if this is already mentioned in the application...but this was news to me).

Take care!

thesaug

Guest Kirsteen

Hey thesaug,

Thanks for that information. I knew about the pointform (it's written in the OMSAS booklet, I believe); however, even using that, it's difficult to fit a lot in. Harrumph! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

This is another Ottawa sketch/space question. I've read in previous years' posts that it is beneficial to include what you've learned from your experiences in the Ottawa sketch. Now that I have entered all the information for all of the activities, I have found that I had space to enter what I've learned in about a third of the activities. In the other two-thirds, there was simply not enough space to enter that information in addition to the other information that Ottawa seeks.

From either, those of you who were successful at Ottawa in the past, or some of my comrades who are tackling this task now, does this sound familiar? If not, may I ask how you handled this?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Yet more Ottawa sketch issues:

One interesting thing I've noticed is that if you use separate points with line breaks in the "Resposibilities" textbox of the Ottawa sketch all the points are merged into one line in the printed version. Ottawa encourages applicants to use point-form in the sketch, but it's a bit whacky that the points end up being amalgamated. :rolleyes Has anyone devised a way to get around this and end up with a properly-spaced, point-form list in these textboxes?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Makunouchi

I don't know - does it print out like that for them?

when I put:

point

point

point

it printed like

point point point

So, I put:

- point

- point

- point

and it prints like

- point - point - point

a bit easier to read, but still strange nonetheless

Wonder what would happen if we put ... but that's 4 characters - 2-4% of alotted space

Guest Makunouchi

does create a space... so I suppose other html codes will work.

Makes the points:

- point

- point

- point

but unfortunately, can't really afford 4 characters per line.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

I e-mailed U. Ottawa about this very point prior to submitting, and they said not to worry if there were no line breaks--it wouldn't make an iota of difference.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Dr FloJoPitt

Help! just running through this one last time - making sure I've got everything and I'm wondering if I'm missing something:

The space in "Summer/academic year" is for 100 characters. I have entered either "Summer" or "Academic year" for each activity - but they give us 100 characters. 8o - Am I missing something? What are they expecting us to fill out here that would take up 100 characters??

Thanks!!

Laura :D

Guest maitre gb

hello all,

what i did is i ended each line with a ";" (except the last line), so it looked something like this:

title (description, description);

title (description, description)

or

point;

point;

point

in the final version, it gave:

title (description, description); title (description, description)

or

point; point; point

i thought it didn't look too bad... in any case, i think when they say "point form", they mean being brief and easy to read. as long as something separates each point, it should be all good.

gb

Guest Makunouchi

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realize I did the prerequisite summary with semi-colons too, so I ended up doing that.

Good luck with everything

Guest blobbo123

Silly me. I actually put in just my responsibilites - I didn't think of putting what I learned because it didn't ask for it. Oh well. It's all done and over with; no use worrying about things now.

Archived