Premed 101 Forums

francophone applicants/class

Guest maitre gb

Guest maitre gb

hello all,

does anyone know how the u of o determines whether a person is a francophone applicant? do they just assume that you are a francophone if you put your first language down as french (even if you filled out the omsas form in english)?

also, does anyone know on average how many french applications the university receives and how large the french class is? is "francophone" (from ontario or not) a different category of applicant?

thanks for any info.

maitre gb

Guest FrenchyMed

You put your 1st language as French.

I think the class size is around 40 students.

As a Francophone, you only compete against other Francophone for spots in the French program.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tchequechic

I read that you should list French as your first language if wanting to be considered for the Francophone class. However, my first language is not French but I am comeptent enough to compete/learn in French university classes. Coming from the united states, I would really like to only compete against other Francophones for spots into the program.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Guest FrenchyMed

Ottawa U will only let you apply to one of their programs (i.e. French or English). If you apply to the French program, you must list your native tongue as French (I don't know how else they would know which program you are applying to). Be advised that the interview will be conducted exclusively in French, so your skill in that language will be tested.

Nicole Racine (nracine@uottawa.ca) should be able to help you out with any question you may have.

FM

Guest wassabi101

Salut les frenchies! :b

Pour répondre à vos questions, tu peux seulement etre admis au programme francophone si tu as indiqué dans ton application que ta première langue était le Français. Par contre, si tu as appliqué en Anglais et tu pourrais egalement étudier en francais, fait sure de le mentionner durant l'entrevue. Il y en a quelques étudiants qui ont était demandé de se joindre au programme franco de cette facon dans le passé.

Des 2,450 demandes, il y en environ 530 qui ont été retenu pour une entrevue (environ 400 dans le programme Anglophone, et 130 dans le programme Francophone). De ces 130, il y en environ 33 qui ont été admis. Il y a aussi 7 autres qui ont été admis à travers le Programme National. Plusieurs viennent de la région d'Ottawa-Outaouais, mais il y en a quelques autres qui viennent du Quebec et de l'Ontario.

Bonne chance!

wassabi

Dear tchequechic,

I am from the states too. I would recommend taking a look at the GPA minimal cutoffs for both streams. Getting the interview and beating the cuttoff is of course the most important criteria. Also remember that your GPA is used as a tie breaker for those that have the same interview score.

Ottawa is really cool about taking tests in the language of your choice (or writing half the questions in french the rest in English)or sitting in classes for the other stream. But all of your mandatory clinical work / patient interaction is in french and your clerkships will also be in french, so be happy with your choice.

I should also say that the French stream are also a tighter bunch (with only 40 students and 1 on 1 MD/ student physician skill development versus 1 on 3 or 1 on 6 in the anglophone track)and the faculty adore you. (I am thinking of one french instructor in particular that instructs so many of the Franco classes, where the anglo stream one is more often to see multiple instructors).

If are applying to the anglophone track you will get props during the interview when they ask you a question or two in french. I also have heard/ read that everything else being equal an anglophone with bilingual skills is selected over someone who is not.

Finally Nicole Racine or Dr. Herbet are bilingual and fantastic in addressing student concerns (especially now when they aren't frantic with interview logistics).

Best Wishes,

g22g

p.s. Physician skills development is the weekly 4 hour work in the clinic during your first year where you learn how to interview patients. The name of the program is different in the Franco stream.

Archived