Premed 101 Forums

Go International or 2nd UG degree - What would you do?

Hi Guys,

What do you think? Honest opinions.

At this point my academic scores or MCAT are not going to be competitive enough. I am rewriting my MCAT in March 2011.

At this point I am taking a year off (Sept 2010-Sept 2011) to work and perhaps take a couple of Unclassified courses at UBC.

In September 2011 should I:

1) Do a second UG degree in Nursing (2 years) at UBC

- reapply during and after to Canadian medical schools

2) Don't do a 2nd UG degree

- apply to International schools with new MCAT

Basically:

Would you rather take another 2 years to do a second UG degree in nursing versus trying to get in Internationally?

I am worried about the international route. So many horror stories!

Thanks everyone!

JDR

What do you think?

At this point my academic scores or MCAT are not going to be competitive enough. I am rewriting my MCAT in March 2011.

At this point I am taking a year off (Sept 2010-Sept 2011) to work and perhaps take a couple of Unclassified courses at UBC.

In September 2011 should I:

1) Do a second UG degree in Nursing (2 years) at UBC

- reapply during and after to Canadian medical schools

I would go this route.

I respect greatly those who go the international route but I would rather try to stay in Canada while preparing for another option in case. I too am taking a year off. :)

If you think you can pull it off, then go with option 1. Its going to be hard as hell to go back to school and get those super high grades, and you're also going to have to ace the MCAT, but its (in my opinion) the better choice if you can do it.

I'm actually doing option 1 right now and I was actually accepted into every international school I applied to (as per option 2) so PM me if you have any questions.

+1 for another undergrad. But you should break down your gpa year by year and post what you scored on the MCAT? This would help analyze the situation a lil better, but if you don't feel comfortable that's cool. What was the reason for you performing under you own expectations? Partying? Effort? Not focused? ..... Just ask yourself what you will do differently the second time around and make sure to implement these changes. I have come across a couple people on these forums who did a secong UG in nursing and eventually got in.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies.

I think that I did so poorly on my first UG degree because perhaps the effort wasn't there. There was too much cramming and too little learning. Perhaps to much of a social life ... too many jobs ... and too little time with the actual books.

I need to make a more conscious effort and I feel that I am mature enough now to do so.

All your posts are for taking a second UG degree.

Why is this?

Why wouldn't you just go straight into international schools?

Please dive deeper ! How did you make these decisions.

Please private message me if you don't feel comfortable answering here!

I really need all the advice I can get!

Thanks so much!

JDR :)

Hey there

I'm currently doing a second undergrad degree at Western going into my second year of study.

I finished my first undergrad degree with a GPA of about 3.7, which I knew was not competitive enough in addition to my zero research experience.

My decision to remain in Canada and complete another degree was a rather simple choice really.

I wanted to stay in Canada to be near family and friends. I couldn't afford the cost to go international. I can finish a 4 years honours degree in 3 years. I believed that I was capable of getting a higher GPA if I strived for it. The slim chance of getting into a specialty of my choosing if I went international, and I wanted to remain in Canada when all is done.

Good luck with your decision.

Archived