Premed 101 Forums

"you don't have enough life experience" letter

Guest Nikhila

Guest Nikhila

Hi everyone,

I was wondering something: Does the admissions committee at Ottawa U med school send out a letter to those students whom they are not inviting for an interview, stating in the letter something to the effect of "you do not have enough life experience to merit an interview" ?? I heard this was what was done a couple of years ago and wasn't sure if it was changing. Or is it better to assume that you wont' be getting an interview if you are not contacted by the end of march?

Thank you!

PS. I realize it is very early to be asking this question, sometimes the waiting game gets to me but most of the time its usually just in the back of my mind and I dont' think about it too often :)

Guest mydream88

Hi Nikhila,

How are you today :) ? I have received rejection letters from Ottawa before :( . I CANNOT recall anything being said about 'not having enough life experience'. A letter was certainly sent however. Don't worry Nikhila, don't think about it now! I guess you should expect to hear by end of Feb? Can someone correct me if I'm wrong. What matters now ONLY is ...TGIF, take it one day at a time.

sincerely,

mydream88:\

Ottawa sent out a letter in the year I applied to people that met the weighted GPA cut for their geographical region that are not being interviewed that goes something like this:

" While your academic credentials are very impressive and met our requirements, we feel that there are some aspects of the non-academic portion of your application that would need to be improved in order to make you a more competitive candidate. We regret to inform you that we will not be able to offer you an interview this year."

While I never had the pleasure of receiving one of these myself (I didn't apply to Ottawa), I did see several that were sent to my classmates. I have no idea if they are still sending these letters or not.

Hi guys,

2 years ago I did recieve a letter informing me that I would not be invited for an interview at UofO. I don't recall exactly what was written, but I dont think that it was as direct or nasty as others are making it out to sound.

To the best of my memory it said something about having X number of appliacants who met the GPA criteria, and only being able to interview 400+ of them. The letter then went on to inform me that unfortunately, I was not one of those lucky applicants.

I think that in general, when people discuss letter that give bad news they will exaggerate how they were "rejected". My memory could be wrong, but I dont remember being offended by the letter, just sad

But dont feel sorry for me, I applied again last year, and was accepted. I am now a happy U of O student and I wish you all the best of luck!!!!

Archived