Premed 101 Forums

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has a solution to my dilemma. When I applied for OSAP this May for grad school, my graduate scholarship application was still being processed. So I stated in my OSAP application that I will not be receiving any scholarships. I just received good news from the scholarship foundation saying that they will be giving me funding for the next 2 years. OSAP also just recently sent me a letter telling me that they approved of my application and will be sending me aid for my graduate studies. I'm not sure if I have to report to OSAP that I will be receiving this scholarship. I am afraid that if I do report the amount, OSAP will no longer be giving me any money...and of course having the extra bit of money from OSAP would be extremely helpful. Can someone who has been in this situation please give me some advice?

Thanks.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has a solution to my dilemma. When I applied for OSAP this May for grad school, my graduate scholarship application was still being processed. So I stated in my OSAP application that I will not be receiving any scholarships. I just received good news from the scholarship foundation saying that they will be giving me funding for the next 2 years. OSAP also just recently sent me a letter telling me that they approved of my application and will be sending me aid for my graduate studies. I'm not sure if I have to report to OSAP that I will be receiving this scholarship. I am afraid that if I do report the amount, OSAP will no longer be giving me any money...and of course having the extra bit of money from OSAP would be extremely helpful. Can someone who has been in this situation please give me some advice?

Thanks.

You are supposed to report the income before you pick up the form and they can find out your true income eventually when you file your taxes. Now that doesn't mean you would get no osap but the amount naturally would be less. You can use their online calculator to actually see what the effect would be - take a look at it, you might still get what you need in the end.

Congrats on the scholarship!

OSAP usually follows up with revenue Canada to find out what you actually made rather than what you said you will make. If there is a large discrepancy they will ask for some of the money back. This happened the the PhD student in my lab a couple years ago.

It isn't a huge deal from a legal perspective / applying for OSAP in the future as long as you settle up your account. It can be a big deal financially though since OSAP asks for the over funded money up front.

Archived