Premed 101 Forums

Appealing OSAP policy

Has anyone ever had to appeal an OSAP policy? Apparently, they don't normally fund what I am planning on doing in September and they are asking me for:

1. A detailed letter outlining the reason(s) for your studies and your current academic goal(s).

2. A letter of support from an academic advisor is required, and should outline courses required.

Has anyone been in this situation before? If so, how did it work out? I wrote the letter but I'm not quite sure which way I should bend it - I pretty much said that I have no money, can't afford to pay by myself, will not be able to work probably, and I have also stated my academic goals and why I decided to do what I'm doing.... I'm really nervous about them not giving me any money come September - I might be pretty much screwed if that is so. Thanks.

what is the policy you are trying to appeal?

Has anyone ever had to appeal an OSAP policy? Apparently, they don't normally fund what I am planning on doing in September and they are asking me for:

1. A detailed letter outlining the reason(s) for your studies and your current academic goal(s).

2. A letter of support from an academic advisor is required, and should outline courses required.

Has anyone been in this situation before? If so, how did it work out? I wrote the letter but I'm not quite sure which way I should bend it - I pretty much said that I have no money, can't afford to pay by myself, will not be able to work probably, and I have also stated my academic goals and why I decided to do what I'm doing.... I'm really nervous about them not giving me any money come September - I might be pretty much screwed if that is so. Thanks.

The policy which states that they don't fund this. Apparently, I can appeal, because it states in the e-mail that I can.

Guess I am still unclear as to what they are not funding(?) I have helped appeal osap before and success usually depends on what you are trying to get them to fund.

• 2 weeks later...

Eff OSAP. I've been trying to reason with them for this year because I'm still not considered a Manitoba resident and I haven't been successful. I'm a single mom who makes a lousy $18 an hour. Where exactly is my tuition money coming from after rent, daycare, food, etc? Apparently I'm supposed to sell my car (which isn't worth much) and move myself and my daughter into a Point Douglas boarding house for the duration of my education.

Whatever. I paid in cash and stocked up on Kraft Dinner. Maybe I'll have better luck with Manitoba SAP next fall. Best of luck to YOU though. May you score the money you deserve! And then tell me how you did it.

Eff OSAP. I've been trying to reason with them for this year because I'm still not considered a Manitoba resident and I haven't been successful. I'm a single mom who makes a lousy $18 an hour. Where exactly is my tuition money coming from after rent, daycare, food, etc? Apparently I'm supposed to sell my car (which isn't worth much) and move myself and my daughter into a Point Douglas boarding house for the duration of my education.

Whatever. I paid in cash and stocked up on Kraft Dinner. Maybe I'll have better luck with Manitoba SAP next fall. Best of luck to YOU though. May you score the money you deserve! And then tell me how you did it.

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, I'm appealing the darn policy... I'm also officially enrolling into an f'ing degree program (my Masters starts in January but before that I'm taking courses for a certificate). I also can't get a line of credit because I need a co-signer and I don't have one. I also don't have a job starting September - problem number 1. LOL.

Couldn't you write them a letter telling them your circumstances? I would try doing that (and am doing it). You might get some money.

I could, but they'd also expect me to quit my job (I make too much; that's the issue), which is unnecessary at this point. Like, I make enough to pay the living expenses every month, it was just the big tuition bill that knocked me down a bit for the next couple of months. It's not an issue anymore, as I just went ahead and took the cash out of savings but I HATE taking money out of savings. Like, what if I lost my bloody job or something, know what I mean? I would much rather play it safe and have school paid for by...well, money meant exclusively for school.

Archived