Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Rules

lela

Hey guys,

A friend of mine told me an idea she had - she memorized the physical sciences equation sheet and said she was going to write it out during the first 10 minutes of her mcat, while she was supposed to be reading the questions.

Is this allowed? If I do it, will they stop me, since technically the test hasn't started yet?

Thanks!

I think what he meant is that if you are not able to recall the commonly used formulas without have to resort to writing it down on a sheet of paper, you are probably not ready for the test yet.

I have to agree with him though. You should know the formulas back to back by now, and consider the time limit on the test, you really need to know your formulas well :D

I agree with medguy/changster.

Also, the focus of the MCAT, especially in the PS section, isn't on pure memorization. The emphasis is on understanding. I also found I was provided with most of the equations I needed on the MCAT, save for the equations pertaining to Newtonian mechanics. And the equations for Newtonian mechanics can often be derived using dimensional analysis if you happen to freeze up and forget.

I suppose if you find it helpful as a relaxation tool more than anything it might still have a use - just knowing that you do know the formulas can be a boost. Perhaps also if you are really stuck glancing over the formulas might cause something to spring to mind. Still as a way to solve the problems faster it won't really help.

Archived