Premed 101 Forums

What takes longer: International Student Coming Home vs 2nd 2 yr UG degree

Hello There,

I am still deciding between taking a second UG degree (perhaps in Nursing) versus going an International school (say in Australia).

In the end, I really do think I would like to be a pediatrician of some sort. It's too early now what to choose, but I know thats the path I would like.

[This is what I am thinking about Nursing as a good back up ... I could become a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner if Medical School isn't in the cards for me].

Honestly. I can't really find any sources on the internet about it (unless I am not searching properly :)) ...

BUT:

What would take longer to get to my end goal?

1) Taking a 2nd UG degree that takes 2 extra years ... whilst applying to Canadian schools at the same time.

2) Going Internationally - with the intent of truly wanting to come home.

Also - Is anyone familiar with the difficulty of the accelerated 2 year UBC Nursing degree? Are high grades even attainable?

Thanks so much!

Sorry for all the questions :)

Depends on what your specific end goal is. If you want to do family medicine and don't care about the extra tuition and return of service contract, then IMG is definitely quicker, it'd be 4 years from whenever you got in - same length as Canada.

If you want something other than FM then IMG will still graduate you more quickly but you might screw yourself out of a residency spot which ultimately would be a massive set-back, both financially and career-wise.

Edit: To give you an idea of how IMG could complicate things:

In 2010, there were 13 Paeds residency spots allocated to IMG students for all of Canada. 67 IMG's applied for these in the first round, 16 matched, 3 matched to their backup, and the remaining 48 didn't match in Canada [Reference, Reference 2].

For CMG's during that same cycle, there were 136 Paeds spots offered with 140 applicants, and 7 spots didn't end up getting filled [Reference].

So if you went abroad you'd definitely graduate earlier but who knows if you'd get into a Paeds residency? With Canadian Med School enrollment going up, its possible (though not guaranteed) that these extra CMG's will eat even further into the residencies previously reserved for IMGs.

This isn't to scare you away from going IMG though, just make sure you know what you're up against if you do. Staying in Canada and applying after a second undergrad will be no picnic either, but if you get in, finding a residency will be. (comparatively)

Archived