Premed 101 Forums

OSAP

Guest Mephistopheles03

Guest Mephistopheles03

at the ottawa info session, the med students told us to apply for osap (regardless of whether or not we thought we were eligible) because a lot of bursaries that ottawa provides (and i am assuming the same for the other med schools) require that you tried osap first. now, my question is...when should we apply for osap...especially if we end up in the waitlist situation come june 1st? can you apply even if you are not sure that you'll be attending med school?

thanks 0]

Guest Biochem10

Hi. I don't think you should apply for OSAP until you know for sure that you'll be attending med school. There's no rush to go out and fill in the application (it's online anyway) especially since there will be very specific questions about the length and type of program you are entering. No matter what your financial situation is, applying to OSAP is probably a good idea since med school tuition is so high. The only thing I would like to ask others is whether they had problems applying to OSAP due to their undergraduate loans. I have undergrad loans, but I plan on applying for OSAP for med schools years one and two. The other issue I have is what to write down on the application form. Since I'm going into MD/PhD, I won't need OSAP for years 3-8, but I will for 1 & 2, should I just put that I'm in a 4 year MD program? Has anyone encountered this problem?

Guest peachy

Hey Biochem10,

When does one need to apply for OSAP, anyways? I'm eligible for the first time this year... I'm sure Sandy can tell us what we need to know about filling out the form.

peachy

Guest JSS02

Mephistopheles03,

From what I can remember (and I could be wrong), you can't apply for OSAP until you've been accepted. I applied in mid - late June last year and it wasn't a problem. I believe you can apply as late as October and still get funding for the whole school year...

Guest UOMeds05

Hi,

There is definitely no rush on applying for OSAP... I can't exactly remember the deadline either but it is not until well into the school year.

Guest aneliz

While there is no deadline per se, if you want to have access to your OSAP money (ie you need it to pay for stuff in Sept!) you will want to apply before the end of June. Otherwise, your OSAP will probably not be available until into Oct...but if you can wait that long, no worries.

I wouldn't rush out to do it now, but, as soon as you know where you are going, I would apply ASAP.

Guest UOMeds05

There is no need to worry about it for Ottawa U meds... financial services treat us so well. If you are recieving OSAP you are exempted from paying tuition fees at no expense until we receive our OSAP sometime end of September. On top of it, they arrange a special day only for med students at the end of September (or so) where they come to the faculty with all of their computers etc. and set up shop so that we can pick all the OSAP stuff without having to wait in the horrendous (like my spelling!:eek ) lines on main campus. Like Aneliz says, I wouldn't put it off all summer.... but no worries right at the moment.

Guest Biochem10

Peachy, actually I spoke to Sandy and she didn't know much about what to write down on the OSAP application. I think I'll just put down MD as my program because that's all I need extra money for--I should be okay with the stipends/loans for the other 6 years. I'll probably wait to fill out the application, I think I'll have lots of time in August to run around to the banks and figure how I am going to finance all this!

Guest MayFlower1

Due to my income, I am not eligible for OSAP...can anybody tell me if that changes after being "unemployed" for a year (i.e., after the first year of being a poor student)? Also, does my wife's income also trash my eligibility for OSAP? Finally, if one is not eligible for OSAP, what other sources of revenue are available (e.g., laptop bursary, other bursarys and awards)?

I appreciate the input.

Peter

Guest UOMeds05

there are a number of bursaries available from the school but as far as i know, you have to have at least applied (i am not if you have to be receiving) OSAP to be eligible... once you get here you can get much more info from the finicial aid people. They meet one-on-one with every 1st year med student in the first couple of months to let each of us know what is available.

I don't know if your wife's income comes into play... i seem to think that it does but I am not confident about that.

Guest MayFlower1

Thanks UOMeds05. If I get in this year I'll definitely be checking that out. Apparently, one of our friends just won some sort of award/grant/bursary that pays for her entire undergrad medical training at UofO...any idea of which one that is?

Peter

Archived