Premed 101 Forums

gpa

Guest tappety tap

Guest tappety tap

Hi,

At the info session, Nicole Racine mentioned that they expect to get around 200 people down the waiting list before the class is filled (this was based on past years). So, I was just wondering if any of the moderators have an idea about ROUGHLY what gpa they get down to, assuming you are on the waiting list? I realize they group first by interview score and then by gpa within each group. Thanks!

Guest MayFlower1

Hey TT,

I think the more important question is...what interview score do they get down to as, as you've correctly pointed out, order is determined primarily by interview score and then by WGPA within interview score should there be a tie between candidates within a particular interview score. Therefore, I think there will be candidates with high GPAs (e.g., 4.0) that are placed low on the overall ranking (e.g., below the first 200).

To answer your question though...I've heard of people with relatively low WGPAs (e.g., 3.6 range) getting admission because they had a great interview.

Peter

Guest tappety tap

Thanks Peter...

Are the interview scores on a continuum? For some reason I thought that you can only get a 4.0 or 3.75 or 3.5 etc... which makes a lot of tied scores. I'm just a little worried cuz my gpa isnt the highest...I can't compete with the out of province people who obviously needed 3.82 or higher to get an interview. Maybe I should just concentrate on finals! hehe

Guest UOMeds06

Peter is correct. And you are right about the scoring (as far as I know). You do get a mark on 4 and it's in 0.25 increments...but there are breakdowns within those increments..i.e. high 3.5, middle 3.5 and low 3.5. Generally, it's safe to say that if you get a score of 3.75 or high, you're in....and a lot of people get a score within high, middle and low 3.5. These people with "tied" interview scores get ranked according to their GPAs...so I who knows how low the GPAs go within that last bracket of interview scores? Unless you ask the last person accepted into the class what their interview score was (which they themselves don't know) and then ask them what their OMSAS GPA was, you'll never really know. I'm sure it varies quite a bit from year to year. Take care, gotta cram again so may not be back for a week or so. ciao and good luck!

UOMeds06

Guest Bleepo

Sorry ... Just backtracking a bit ...

Do you mean that they accept 135, and after that they still have to cross off an additional 200 people off the waiting list before the class is full? So really, out of the say, 500 people they interiview, only 165 don't get in?

The reason I ask is that I had my interivew today and I personally don't think it went too well =(. I just couldn't pull my thoughts together. Anyway, thanks!

Guest tappety tap

From what I gather from the info session...they are accepting 123 people (the 135 I think was including those special programs with the military and francophones from other parts of canada). To fill the 123 spots, they suspect they will move down ROUGHLY 200 spots on the waiting list before those 123 spots are filled (because don't forget a lot of people do not accept their offer). I don't know how many first round offers there are but I;m assuming there are at least 123...probably more. So at least 323 of the 520 interviewed get offers. Thats really pretty good odds...3 in 5....

anyways, I'm sorry you dont feel your interview went well but I know a few stories of people who were SURE they weren't getting in and then they do...so don't lose all hope!!!!!!

Guest MACFORME

Hey guys

Sorry to burst your bubble :) but this is a common misinterpretation of what Ottawa says. I think they should be more clear in the future. They actually make about 200 offers (including the initial 123) in total. So the waitlist as about 77 people and not 200. So 200 out of 520 is less than 40% chances, which kind of sux when you compare it to the other schools.

Anyhow, best of luck.

Guest snoopychan

To add to the bad news: Ottawa has both an English and a French class. The 123 spots breaks down into ~90 English and ~45 French spots. If you are applying for the English clas as I am, we are going for only 90 spots. Best of luck!!

Guest tappety tap

Oh...well Nicole did say that they make their way 200 down the waiting list...but maybe she meant they get 200 people down the list in total. Well whichever it is, 2 or 3 out of 5...there's not much we can do anymore!!!

Guest MayFlower1

I believe there were also a few deferrals from last year...that means we're actually going for a few less...I also understood that out of the total 500 or so interviewed, only the top 200 or so get offers. The message...good interview scores get the spots!

Peter

Guest Tanya24

But, remember that several people who get accepted THIS year (2003) may also request deferrals, thus opening up a few more spaces for the waiting list.

And maybe I'm living in a dream world, but I have a theory that many of our fellow interviewees may have applied to Ottawa as a "back up" given the early MCAT score availability this year. However, many of these people will still qualify for their first choices and free up even more room at Ottawa.

Or maybe I should just stop overanalyzing things. It's bad enough my interview still haunts me every day.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tanya24

I have been wondering (not obsessing.....yet) about something with respect to the WGPA. In 5 years of university, I have taken distance ed./correspondence/letter of permission courses which Nicole told me would NOT be caluculated into my WGPA, but would still count towards the total number of courses, etc. But now I am wondering if they have done the calculations correctly!! I am really counting on the strength of my WGPA after my blah interview. Has anyone here phoned/emailed the office with a similar request and been given an answer?

Thanks very much for any reply.

Archived