Premed 101 Forums

research in ottawa

Guest tappety tap

Guest tappety tap

Well it's offical...I'm moving to Ottawa next year! I accepted the MSc. in epidemiology so it's either that or Ottawa U med. Either way I guess I'll be in the same building!

I was wondering if anyone on here, from Ottawa U, is familiar with the hot research in that field that is going on at Ottawa U or of any top researchers that would be great to work with. I have to start figuring out who I would want as my supervisor in case med doesn't happen....any ideas? suggestions? thoughts??

Guest Biochem10

Congrats tappety tap on making a decision and going with it, you're lucky that both options are in the same city. It seems one of the hardest things about this whole process is finding everything out at the last minute and having to move to a new city, find a roommate etc.. That's the situation I'm facing right now and I don't like the anxiety of not knowing where I'll be living in September. I was all set on moving to Toronto (that's where my number one option is: grad school & med), but then I got into McGill, so now it's back to the waiting game. Good luck to you in Ottawa.

Guest Biochem10

I'm in Montreal now and yes, U of T is my first choice. I was supposed to move all my stuff to Toronto next week, but now I'm asking myself is it really worth it to move if I might be in Montreal next September? Anyway, I applied to MD/PhD at U of T and the administration is really helpful, so I might just call them and see if there's any chance that I will get in. It would really be a pain to move to Toronto only to find out I was not accepted there.

Guest tappety tap

Yeah I understand how unsettling all this is! I feel great now at least knowing the city I'll be in.

All in due time...congrats on getting into Mcgill Phd/MD...thats incredible! And good luck with U of T. I would definitely call them. I did so becaue I applied to master's there as well and they gave me a response within a week. I got in there but chose Ottawa.

Just curious...why U of T over Mcgill?

Guest Biochem10

Actually, I didn't get into McGill's MD/PhD, just MD, so that's one of the reasons I would chose Toronto. The other reason is that I did my undergrad at McGill, so a change of atmosphere would be nice. Some of my profs even teach med school, so it would feel a little too much like undergrad to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy about getting in, it's just that I'm really set on going to U of T if I get in. Some people hate how big U of T is, but really for someone interested in research, there's so many things going on there and so many great people to work with.

Guest tappety tap

cool...well then, GOOD LUCK with U of T...it definitely is the place for research!! When you find out, put up a post to let me know what happens :)

Guest Cosmo0

UofT might be the more "known" research-hotbed, McGill (for the size) is just as good if not better: Coming from a UofT PhD student. I would warn you that the combined (MD/PhD) option may not be as great as it sounds as there is little flexibility once you enter the program. An MD at McGill (with research during) and grad school after may be more malleable, if you still think you need/can handle the additional experience/time in school after the MD. Also, as a friend of mine is doing, a PhD during residency can be more specific to what you want to work on for the rest of your life, more appreciated by your residency supervisors, and can be done (almost) anywhere in the world. I thought I'd share some food for thought, as I have witnessed all 3 in the past 5 years: MD/PhD, MD then PhD, and PhD then MD.

Guest MayFlower1

If you're interested, I can introduce you to the Senior Epidemiologist I worked with at Health Canada...she's really nice. Her department is the Health Surveillance and Epidemiology Division, Centre for Healthy Human Development, Reproductive Health Section. Check out their website to see what types of stuff they do. You can also go to the Maternity Experiences Survey website...this is a brief summary of one piece of national research I was conducting on behalf of Health Canada.

Bye the way, it's wonderful that you've decided to move back to Ottawa...I look forward to seeing you sometime later in the summer...perhaps you guys can come over for supper sometime and meet my wife.

Peter

Guest tappety tap

Wassabi...I chose Ottawa over McGill because I have been at McGill for five years and really feel like I need a change of school...if I have to go into Mac Med or Stewart Bio building one more time...hehe you get the picture. I decided I wanted straight epi instead of behavioural medicine (which is what I got into at U of T)...and the full scholarship at Ottawa U is pretty tempting, not to mention my whole faimly lives in Ottawa. So, those are the main factors I considered.

very cool Peter....we'll talk.....Thank!!!

Archived