Premed 101 Forums

Residency = Hell??

Residency = Hell (true).

Firstly, let's discuss hours and how much they blow for an R1. For the third month in a row, I'm working 19 days without cessation and only have 4 days off during the entire month i.e. two weekends. I've worked 52 hours already and it's only Tuesday. An average week is about 85 hours for me. Days start at 0730 and end around 1800. Sometimes there's time for lunch i.e. 15 minutes to choke down a sandwich. In Nova Scotia, residency work hours are limited to 90 hours per week. I've worked very holiday so far this year and it's not looking any better in the future.

OMG ... 90 hr work week cap ... that's horrible :( ..... Sorry to hear your R1 year is going soo crappy and that your program seems to be rather malignant!

Have you thought about switching into another program that would be a better fit. Can't imagine having to go through your entire residency in such an environment!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably easier than derm. I know the talk about jobs (true or not) has given students pause in recent years.

The jobs scare definitely caused a crash in number of rad onc residency apps in previous years, but now that the outlook is looking good, the num of apps has been climbing quite significantly again !!!!!

It's uncommon to have transfers into rad onc, but if you talk to the right people, anything can happen :). One of our now PGY-4s transferred from anesthesia after their PGY-1 year.

As for derm, i'm sure it's possible too. It helps if you have funding from the same province for the same length of time. We do a required block in dermatology and the derm I worked with is involved with the UofT derm program and said they were looking bringing a derm program to McMaster. Now there's a UofT/McMaster stream for derm!

so .. there are options ... and you should NEVER have to tolerate unprofessional behavior from staff!

• 5 months later...
Clerkship is the same kind of hours when you do your core rotations. Plus you don't get paid and you need to pay for tuition. Have fun :rolleyes:

clerks don't work as many hours as residents plus the level of respnsibilities is totally different..

clerks don't work as many hours as residents plus the level of respnsibilities is totally different..

Depends on the service. On peds clerks had essentially the same role as residents (usually PGY1s in family med) and took first call, reviewing directly with staff. On birth unit clerks did 24h call while residents did night float. Generally speaking the hours/responsibilities aren't that different for PGY1s - less, certainly, but I don't know that in-house call will feel quite the same when you get a stipend for it.

Well I thin it's more that when you're a clerk, it's totally fine to make learning mistakes (of course not super dangerous ones...but within limits) whereas if you're an actual "doctor", it looks really bad and you will feel more guilty since you really should know better. And often there isn't an IMMEDIATE go to person (often the staff who is sleeping at home) whereas as a clerk, you can just page the R1 or senior and get an immediate (or slightly delayed) response. At least someone to check your physical exam whereas you're not gonna wake up the attending to come check findings you're not sure about.

• 9 months later...
Slightly off-topic, but all this talk about resident salaries has me wondering if anyone has found a way to reduce their student-loan amount. Does anyone work during med school in any capacity?

Some people will do some undergrad/MCAT tutoring on the side, generally the best in terms of $/hour. Some people with previous degrees (ex Nursing) can pick up occasional shifts at their old jobs during a slower time of year if they were so inclined.

Archived