Premed 101 Forums

anglo-ontario doing interview in french (the qs)

Guest camillefr

Guest camillefr

I took lots of time off to relax from my interview before coming to give u more details on my french interview. feels great!

Last year I applied as anglo-ontario as you already know, this year I applied as franco-ontario applicant (i.e. I indicated mother tongue as french on omsas application)

general area of my interview questions:

why medicine?

question about my honours project?

iraq?

romanow report? health care discussion

2 ethical questions? 1 about group dilemma

strengths/weaknesses?

volunteer experience at salvation army?

would you study in french if accepted in french program? (YESSSS!!!!)

Obviously, they knew that I was anglophone from Ontario. Just like my anglo-ontario med friends already in french program at ottawa said to me, the interviewers understood it and appreciated it. overall I feel the FRENCH interview went SUPER even though my french needed improvement! people scared me for nothing even my friends hehehe.

For the anglo-ontarions applying to french program this year or next, expect the same type of questions as those applying to anglophone program!

Hope my info helps you guys!

Guest wassabi101

Hi Camillefr-:D

I'll be having my interview in French as well. I'm not a Franco-Ontarian, like yourself, more like a Franco-Outaouais who went to school in English all her life, kind of gal. With that said, I would love to study in French, but I am really nervous for my interview in French. I'm perfectly bilingual and have no problem understanding and writing (I've taken courses in French at university before) but can I really sell myself en Français? :rolleyes I've been in the process of translating all my research over the last few years...a bypass is a pontage, an MI is un infarctus du myocarde...etc. etc....how stressful!

Besides, my french exposure has been confusing to my ears...my mom is from Chicoutimi, and really french- growing up, my friends and I spoke slang quebec french ("oui je m'enva au store pour m'acheter un shirt")- my dad has a huge accent (being Ukrainian and all)- and now in Montreal over the last 5 years, everyone speaks nicely-phrased french...basically, I'm bilingual but am not perfect in either language now! :lol

So thanks for posting your interview questions and experience!

-wassabi101

Guest martyb

Hi wassabi

I wish you the best of luck. I too am bilingual, so I mentioned this at my interview (in English), and they asked me a question in French. I was so nervous - I thought the interview was over, they were at the "is there anything you would like to add" part - that my French sounded like I had learned French from a teach yourself tape.

What I would suggest is that you ask a few francophones to have a conversation about the sorts of things you might discuss in an interview, ie medical ethics, etc. Try to talk to people you're not incredibly comfortable with, but who would still be happy to help out, like professors for example. Anyway, if you have the courage to do the whole thing in French, I'm sure you will do fine.

marty

Guest UOMeds06

Wassabi,

From your history, sounds like your interview will go fine. CamilleFr seemed to have a good interview with his level of French, and it sounds like you've been speaking it just as long if not longer (being Quebecois and all). I'm sure you won't find it as hard as you may have already convinced yourself! BUt I agree with Martyb, practice!

UOMeds06

Guest wassabi101

Thanks martyb and uomed06 for the encouragement and advice! :D

Good luck to you too martyb! If you and I get in, we can rebel and go off to the english classes once in a while ;)

I figure at the worst if I get stuck in french explaining my research, I'll just use *the fingers* to signify "quote" and say the word in English :lol

Uomed06- how many people in your class in your opinion are not completely french? (not having studied in French university or cejep or highschool)

-wassabi101

Guest camillefr

you will do super! but practice french until your interview date. practice answering typical interview questions in french.

know as many french terms as possible. then just do your best!

you are not a franco-ontarion but you are in fact a quebec (outaouais) applicant so you will already have a higher gpa than many franco-ontarions which is an advantage. your cutoff is 3.6 versus us franco-ontarions is 3.2 or programme national which is 3.4. so you are ahead already!!!

good luck!

Guest UOMeds06

HI Wassabi,

In the anglo class, I'd say at least 90% haven't taken any French past high school. There are a few francophones in the Anglo class.

As for the Franco class, I'd say that 100% have had some French schooling OR are from a French speaking family. Maybe 10% of them are from Franco families and never studied in French. The last number is more or less a rough estimate since I'm not entirely sure. It's hard to tell just talking to them because they're all 100% fluent.

Hope this answers your question, good luck!

UOMeds06

Guest wassabi101

Thanks for the rough estimates UOMed06!

I actually had an interview last week at McGill in french and it went fine.....I had been worrying for no reason :rolleyes ....it was just like speaking to my mom (my mom's french) but with a more serious tone and a little less slang ;)

-wassabi

Archived